Moving from Australia to Ireland

C

co.oleary

Hi,
I have been a permanent resident of Australia for the past 7 months during that time I have also had my own car. I am thinking of moving back to Ireland and want to take my car back with me. The shipping charges from Australia is c2,500 euro. I have the following queries and would appreciate it if anyone could share their information/experience with any of these:

1. I will have owned the car for longer than 6 months therefore i should be exempt from VRT in Ireland. I have read elsewhere that if cars are imported from outside of the EU the 6 month rule is extended to 12w months - is this correct?
  2. As the car is arriving from a non eu country will I have to pay VAT.
Thanks for your help.

Colm

can't answer your VAT/VRT queries but brother did this a few years ago and it wasn't worth it. anytime something went wrong with the car, even though it was same make and model apparently as is avail here, there was no way could get parts for it. worth considering this perhaps.

Price of 2nd hand cars has dropped considerably in Ireland and dealers are offering poorer trade in values. Unless it is a Ferrari or something like that, you'd probably be better off to sell the car and walk into an Irish dealer with cash. They'll bite the hand off you in the current climate

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I was on to Customs and Revenue and they directed me to the public notice below:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

VAT and VRT are not applicable on transfer of residence from outside of the EU provided that you are resident in the foreign country for at least 12 months prior to transfer and you own the vehicle for 6 months prior to transfer.

It was unclear if there are any other Customs duties applicable. (CCT).

The people in Customs were fairly sure that I would not be liable for any charges provided these conditions were met and the transfer was genuine.

Shipping from Australia to Ireland is not as expensive as it may seem. You have the option of going in a Roll on Roll Off Car Ferry or using a Shipping Container for 2- 2500 euro. Additional insurance if chosen comes to about another 2000 euro. The time for shipping is 40 - 60 days.

Cars in Australia are quite cheap. There is no VRT, only 3% stanp duty which the garage usually takes the hit on/factors into the selling price.

No Modifications need to occur on the car. Also the car that I have is a European car so any after sales service should be available in Ireland.

There is a slow down occurring here in Australia. I was lucky to get my hands on my motor at a decent price and when the aussie dollar was getting hammered so I got a good deal. There is no way I could afford this car at home.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies and making this website an invaluable source of knowledge.

Kind Regards,

Colm

What car is it?

As you stated VRT and VAT are not chargable due to you living there for 12, and owning the car for 6. However they will be picky about this, the more proof you have that you lived over there for that time the better, anything you have to prove you owned the car for 6months would be needed also..

you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever, just make sure you have all the documents to backup your facts!! :)

Back