Moving Earth

InfoSeeker

Hi,

Have had a house built in Cork recently and we need to get earth moved from the site.

The earth is at the back of the house and is blocking us from constructing a bio-cycle unit.

I have a farmer who is 3 miles from the site who will take the earth.

As a lay person it is difficult to describe the size of the job but those who have come to the site say it is about 30 loads before quoting so cannot say how honest this is.

Can anyone who is interested or know someone interested in this type of job then please PM me.

Also, I think you have to get a permit to move soil from one site to another. I believe the Local A's are strict on this & impose heavy fines on people who do not comply. Just saying !

Had similar situation myself - our site is 5ft up from the footpath. Dave28 is correct, you're not supposed to take as much as a carrier bag full of soil from your plot with out informing the Council!!

If I'm honest, we did it anyway - luckily man next door works for the waterboard and they were looking for a good few trailer fulls - paid a guy from the local quarry to take 2 loads to the tip (€70 disposal charge, €30 for the man with the truck), then got the rest taken to a man with a very large hole to fill about 10km away - digger man, tractor man and trailer for about 10 hours was €750. Levelled the site off lovely.

I think the main concern of the council is that this soil isn't just dumped on the side of the road. Depends how brave you're feeling - I'd do it again if I had to.

I think that as long as the individual who is transporting the soil has the relevant waste licence there should be no problem, I don't think each individual landowner has to have a licence.

Tks for the responses, girlfriend is a solicitor and know about the licences required, etc.

In fact Cork City Dump are looking for earth as far as I know.

I just need someone to transport it.

As a rough guide, an 8 wheeled tipper truck will carry 8-10 cubic meters in a load. Measure up the length x width x height to get your volume. Excavated material will bulk up by at least 10% when moved. If it is good quality sub-soil and not contaminated with builders waste you should have little problem in getting rid of it. Did you look in Buy and Sell to see if anyone is looking for fill ?

Yup the Haulage guy will need a licence, and you are responsible for making sure he has one. Your tip site needs a separate licence to accept the "waste".

make sure to get a vat receipt from whoever does the haulage and the dumping as this will be necessary if ever required to prove to council/planners etc. about safe disposal. (paper trail).

As an aside I used a fellow with grab and truck to take away approx 70 tonnes clay/subsoil in dublin @ 350+vat per 25 tonne load. - included tipping in designated dump.