Moving Direct Debits - A job and a half!

Nordkapp

I am in the process of moving direct debits from an Ulster bank account to other accounts for

A) a mortgage

B) Phone

C) Electricity

D) A PCP

I have done the following but need to know if I have done things correctly!

A) All I have done is contact the lending bank with a new direct debit mandate. I have not contacted the new bank or the old bank. Is that alright? Do I need to contact Ulster bank to cancel anything on their side?

B) Has proven impossible to do with Eir on their website, Since Saturday it will not allow a change in direct debit. I tried to use chat today and wasted 30 mins. I tried to do it this evening and the human element is closed out of hours. It is so frustrating. Looks like the human will need to be contacted tomorrow................

C) Tried contacting BGais but they have not returned email contact despite a 2 day turnaround. Set up a Direct Debit but the account must be Irish and the website would not accept a Revolut GB IBAN! Had to use another "Irish" account. I now have to ring them to ensure it has gone through. Do I need to contact Ulster bank to cancel anything on their side?

D) Had to ring finance company, took 12 mins before they cam back with an if and but on using Revolut. I need to ring them in 3 to 4 days to see if it has been accepted. I challenged them that Revolut is a European Bank so what is the issue! Do I need to contact Ulster bank to cancel anything on their side?

Many thanks, changing direct debits is not easy at all.............

Many thanks, changing direct debits is not easy at all.............
Unfortunately I concur. I did switcher process and had to contact all 3 DD companies to arrange for a special payment for the first month. This was because the new bank send out cancellations to the old bank and can only set up the new DD when they get notified by the old bank of same. Turnaround was at least 2 weeks and of course initial opening of account in new bank took another 5 days which meant that the 3 weeks I allowed for switching was out the window. Only way to get it sorted is to talk to machines till you get a 'normal' human.

Under SEPA legislation, setting up a DD requires a signed mandate. There is a dispensation in Irish legislation for Irish originators taking a mandate on Irish bank accounts, to support the DDplus scheme which pre-exists SEPA. They don't require a signed mandate.

If you want to use a non-Irish bank account, you need to fill in a paper mandate, and the DD originator needs to keep this on file. Some originators are by passing this and taking details online / over phone. They are in breach of terms and conditions with their sponsoring bank, and SEPA scheme rules so leaving themselves open to claims.

The current account switcher process is completely flawed in how it operates. I'd estimate considerably less than 10% of those who move their primary account actually use the process.

Yeah, at moment paper forms went to two providers. Eir are sending out the form as will not accept Revolut and still may not even with the form.
Then I have to ring the finance company tomorrow to see if they accepted Revolut.

The annoying aspect is not knowing what will happen the day the direct debit is due as to which account will be debited...

The annoying aspect is not knowing what will happen the day the direct debit is due as to which account will be debited...
In my case the old ones were the first port of call for the providors and within 24 hours of due date they all had contacted me by phone telling me of the problem. This made it easier to sort out as they gave me all the requirements and I gave them the info for the following month.

Back