Moving currents from AIB to Ulster, can I keep my AIB CC?

Mongola

While I have found some old posts on this, I could not find anything recent…
My partner & I currently both bank with AIB (own accounts). We have, however decided to move our accounts to Ulster Bank and we do have an appointment this week to do so. We will later open a joint current account (as we are getting married next summer & will be easier for payments) & also a deposit account as we want to move our savings.
We also both have a credit card with AIB, the Switch credit card which has an 8.7% APR, which is quite low and I would like to keep my CC with AIB as the UB charges 17.4% APR. In fairness, our credit cards are 99.9% of the time cleared in full by the end of the month but there has been a month or two where I did not clear in full my CC but did the following month.
Although my question may sound a little basic, the information I have found did not provide me with an answer that is why I am asking here! My question is the following: is this possible? Can I have my current account with UB and keep my CC with AIB? If so, can I see my AIB CC on my UB account? Can I pay it from the current/transfers? Thanks.

Can I have my current account with UB and keep my CC with AIB?

I can't see why not. It's perfectly normal to have different financial products from different financial institutions.
If so, can I see my AIB CC on my UB account? Can I pay it from the current/transfers? Thanks.
You should be able to set the AIB CC up as a bill payment or direct debit or whatever on another current account even with another financial institution. Payments may or may not take a bit longer than when they are all with one financial institution but these days perhaps not.

Keeping the AIB CC will be no problem but you won't be able to view that online through your new UB a/c. You will be able to transfer to it from the UB a/c online but it may take up to 3 working days for the funds to appear on the AIB CC. Viewing the AIB CC online MAY still be an option with AIB's online banking but I do know with BOI you need to have a current a/c or demand deposit a/c set up on online banking in order to view your other accounts.

I know this thread is old but just for completeness...

AIB DO allow you to have JUST a credit card and still view it online. I recently closed my last AIB current account and retained my CC. Your internet banking will initially cease to function (you'll get an error that you have recently closed an account and to contact customer services) and you'll have to call the support line. Your phone banking will strangely enough continue to work using the same credentials (I was able to get my CC balance over the phone anyway)

They will then delete the old credentials completely (phone banking will then cease to work) and send out a new PAC and registration number, which will need another call to them to activate (by answering some security questions). You're then back up and running with internet banking for your stand alone CC.

Note: You should request a "code card" from them when you're on the phone the second time as your card reader WILL NOT work with a credit card and you now have no authorised debit card any more ;-) Ulster Bank issues dummy cards just for the card reader for this scenario but AIB issues the old style code card (TAN list) which we had before the card readers were mandatory. Without the code card, you won't be able to look at or download old statements, just recent transactions.

Great to read this, this morning, as I am about to close my AIB current account but retain my credit card with them.

Back