Moving back to Poland, contributory pension transfer.

Ikusia03

Hi, I live in UK and never been intrested how it works in ROI.But...
My father in law was working in Ireland quite a few years . He already have Irish and Polish pension. And need to move back to Poland because of his health and needing care 24/7. I will be coming to help with clening flat , closing inernet bills ect. But what should we do with bank account and pension ? He will no longer have addres in Ireland, can we keep bank account open and just give them polish addres ? Please can anyone help ?

If your father's pension is from Department of Social Protection, he may be able to transfer the pension to Poland. It could be paid into a Polish bank account. He should contact the Department for advice.

You don't clarify the nature of the pension - e.g. state contributory, state non-contributory, occupational, private etc. In case it's relevant, some social welfare payments can be paid to a foreign bank account:
If it's an occupational or private pension then contact the pension provider to ask them if they can facilitate payment to a foreign bank account.

Its contributory state pension. Do You have any idea how it works with exchange from euro to PLN . As am aware about UK you can transfer pension and uk will automatically exchange it to pln . Many people made a mistake and opened accounts in Poland in foreign currency (£) so it been exchanged twice - loosing quite a chunk of money on weekly basis. £>pln>£ . Any idea how it work here ?

Does your father have online banking here ? If so, just leave the account open. You can then transfer as you wish to his Polish account.
Note: I made the thread title clearer

No as he srugle with dementia and block it long time ago ,and all bank correspondence come by post .

He could open a Revolut account. This is done online and you can assist in the account opening. His pension can be paid to this in euro. You can operate the account for him and then convert to PLN once and send this to his Polish account.

I think you should help him set up online banking again with a bricks and mortar bank. Revelut require videos and voice to set up. If he had online prior and didn't mention why he chose to stop, it could be pretty straight-forward over the phone.
Failing that you need to ask the pension or DSP. As it's contributary, there is no issue with a foreign account being given.

If he's suffering from dementia then perhaps the situation needs somebody to be formally appointed to act on his behalf in such matters. E.g. via power of attorney if this was registered when he was able to make decisions independently, or ward of court if necessary. Or whatever the equivalents are in Poland if applicable.

If the online banking idea in #8 was used, you could arrange transfers to a Revolut account in your own name from your father' in law's online account and then convert to PLN and transfer on to his Polish account.

Back