moving back to Ireland - questions re where to locate

S

steadyeddy

Hi All, myself & my family (hubby & 2 kids) are deciding whether to move to Dublin/Kildare area at the end of July following a job offer that I've received. I am originally from Greenhills D12 but have been living in west London for past 20 yrs. I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback about school places & commute time etc.

The issue I have is that the office is currently in Ballsbridge (Shelbourne Rd), but plan to move March '09 to either Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown! My original thoughts were to live in Naas/Sallins/Newbridge or perhaps Celbridge/Kilcock/Maynooth but then when I realised the office relocation won't be for almost another year I didn't fancy a potentially long commute (my current home to work commute is only 30 mins!).

I then thought I might look in the Rathcoole/Saggart or Newcastle area. I've spoken to the local NS in Rathcoole & they have a place for one of the children but not the other (unless he stays behind a year!). We're over next week to do a bit of research and drive around to get a feel for certain areas.

We will rent initially for the first 6-12 months before buying. As we're not 1st time buyers we're also thinking of buying a new build when we do buy, to avoid the dreaded Stamp Duty, so areas where new builds are planned would be good as we don't fancy moving the kids to another area/school within a year! We're looking for a pretty established community with good amenities & local schools within walking distance.

Sorry I've rambled on, and I know this is a tall order, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks

If you are looking for a new build plus an established community with facilities you may be in for a shock Eddy.

There is no shortage of new builds to choose from.

Make sure you do your reasearch though.

Do you want to buy a house only to discover that the nearest available school place for your children is 35 miles away?

I think a lot will depend on where you are relocating to. There's a heck of a difference between travelling to Liffey Valley and Blancahrdstown from much of Kildare (toll bridge and m50 for starters).

personally, I'd avoid places like Sallins and Clane, they were small rural villages which were completly overbuilt with cheap starter homes and appartements and to me, have no soul, character or community right now. Same applies to City West, place leave me depressed it is so soulless

Naas is a good country down with decent schools and a new shopping centre being built and an easy enough commute to Liffey Valley.

Trouble is, getting to Ballsbridge from anywhere in Lidare will not be easy and you are going to be looking at a nasty commute for 8 months

It'll be worth it though, lived in London for 10 years myself, absolutley no regrets about coming home, best thing I ever did

Thanks Mpsox, it helps when people have personal experience! I know there will be a trade off for the 8 months on the commute to Ballsbridge but it'll be worth it in the end am sure. Just got to try and sort out schools places now! Anyone got any advice re Naas schools, would probably want to be at the Dublin end of Naas. Thanks again Tracy
PS - great forum, best I've stumbled upon so far in my research!

I made the move from West London back to Ireland about 6 years ago....We rented for 6 months until we got our bearings. Looked at the comute from various parts of Dublin and Meath. Eventually settled on Ratoath....but we spent a lot of time looking for a house to suit. No Kids so we were mainly concerned with commute.

I know that it might be disruptive for the kids but why not rent for the first year near Dublin and get a feel for where you would really like to live long term? Then buy after your company has moved.
House prices are not going anywhere but down so it should save you money as well.

Didn't read 26cb's post. :eek:

Last edited:
With the possibility of either Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown would it not be a better idea to at least choose Liffey Valley. If they did relocate to Blanchardstown that's a long enough commute without having to stretch it back to Naas. Quality of life and all that type of stuff in spite of the M50 :)

Presumably you don't want to have to move the children from their schools for a second time.

Sounds like a rental in Liffey Valley for the 12 months would be the best option and let you get your bearings straight.

If you press the company can they not give you any further info on the relocation.

Hi there,

I would agree with what the other posters have said and definitely think you should rent, at least until you know exactly where your new job will be based. I would rent as close to Ballsbridge as you can afford as this will be very handy for work and also give you time to check out different areas and new developments before the office relocation.

maynooth/leixlip could be a handy location as you could get the train straight to landsdowne road and could be handy enough then for blanch or liffey valley when or if your company relocates there. maynooth is a nice well settled town, don't know leixlip at all.

Thanks all that have posted - really helpful stuff. Anyone ever drive from Maynooth/Leixlip area to Ballsbridge? If yes, what's the commute like & what route to take?! Thanks again.

Good idea to rent close as possible to Ballsbridge. Commuting to Ballsbridge from any of the locations you are talking about is tough going. My brother lives in Nass took a job based in Ballsbridge based on the fact that the office was going to relocate to Tallaght - that was 3 years ago and the office has not moved. It can take him up to two hours to get to Ballsbridge. He leaves home by 7 a.m. and gets back at best by 8 p.m. Hard one to get right without being too disruptive with for kids but also important to get it right for the longer term.

What is your budget for buying a house - could you buy closer to the city? - If you could that could be the best option. Apparently good value in second hand houses in established areas now and with recent changes in stamp duty it is not as daunting as it once was - first 125 exempt and 6% after that. Good luck.

Hi steadayeddy your biggest problem is going to be school places. You mentioned a fed good locations in your first post . So when your over try to look and rent any where on the Maynooth train line the service is not bad 30 mins or less from Maynooth to city centre and some of the trains you wont have to change. So again check out some of the schools on that line. School places is a contentious issue at the moment any where in Dublin. Best of luck

Personally I wouldn't be keen on living in either Blanchardstown or Liffey valley.

I would prefer to commute south to work from the city.
With the economic climate at the moment I wouldn't plan in stone for the company to move in March 09.

So what I'm recommending is to rent possibly Chapelizod...Kilmainham...Inchicore...near city but easy enough commute to Ballsbridge (depending on timing less than an hour each way) or Liffey Valley/Blanch...prob 30 mins as you would be going opposite the traffic.

I used to live in Inchicore and primary school might be an issue..there is a very good gael scoil (gaelscoil Insecoir ?spelling) but the english based primary school might have some issues with disadvantaged status etc

There is a good secondary school on the road from Kilmainham to Liffey Valley called King's Hospital (private) Not sure about the public (free) secondary schools.

Not sure of the situation in Chapelizod...but always loved the look of that area.

I don't know about the locations you are looking at, but......
I moved back to Ireland after 20 years in the UK 2 and a half years ago.

I rented in South Co Dublin for just over 2 years (yes, I have a child), and I spent most of that time looking at houses, schools, locations etc. I have ended up in Wicklow Town, and feel that I have made the best decision, and I couldn't have made that without the time in rented property, and getting a feel for each different ares.

I don't know about the locations you are looking at, but......
I moved back to Ireland after 20 years in the UK 2 and a half years ago.

I rented in South Co Dublin for just over 2 years (yes, I have a child), and I spent most of that time looking at houses, schools, locations etc. I have ended up in Wicklow Town, and feel that I have made the best decision, and I couldn't have made that without the time in rented property, and getting a feel for each different ares.

I have to agree that Wicklow town is a great choice in lots of ways - scenery, quality of life, distance into Dublin, friendliness of people etc.

I have to agree that Wicklow town is a great choice in lots of ways - scenery, quality of life, distance into Dublin, friendliness of people etc.

Yea but what would be the price of a monthly from Wicklow town to Dublin? How long would that take?

Sorry, rail ticket... or weekly.

On the subject whats travelling in from Maynooth like?

Cant be worse than playing sardines in 45c temps you get on the tube. HELL!

Sorry, rail ticket... or weekly.

On the subject whats travelling in from Maynooth like?

Cant be worse than playing sardines in 45c temps you get on the tube. HELL!

I believe the price of a return rail ticket for Wicklow is extremely expensive...and the carriages are supposed to be packed too. In terms of driving a car, a daily commute from Wicklow town into Ballsbridge would be approx 30 miles and would take ages at peak time. I'd be inclined to get a bus myself....

Back