Moving back to Ireland from UK - what to do with sterling Credit Cards?

mediaeval

I am moving back to Ireland from the U.K. Can I take my credit cards with me? Or do I have to cancel them when I leave? I'd like to hold onto them as

(a) One of them has an interest rate of 7.9%, although the balance is zero. Pretty sure I won't get that interest rate on an Irish credit card.
(b) One of them has zero fees for non-sterling transactions. Pretty sure I can't get that on an Irish credit card, either.
(c) I have an outstanding debt of £3K on the third credit card at 0% interest. I presume they won't want me to cancel it...

Thanks

M

How will you fund your lifestyle into the future and do you propose to use the cards for Euro purchases here?
As for the three cards:
-a (relatively) low interest rate isn't a reason to pay interest on borrowings - do you tend to pay interest each month on this card?
-AFAIK, Revilut cards offer something similar.
-is the 0% offer time limited? Do you plan to settle the outstanding balance at that point?

If you're moving from a GBP country to a EUR, over time the vast majority of your transactions will be denominated in EUR - might be an idea to keep one card if you want to make GBP purchases in the future but three is overkill IMO.

fierce handy for amazon.co.uk
I've never had a UK credit card and bought things on amazon.co.uk for fifteen years.

Having a UK card might save a little on FX commission but you're talking a few euros a year at most levels of purchase.

The major advantage of a UK credit card is that there is no €40 stamp duty. But if you are earning and spending in € then there is FX commission on purchases and then again when you want to pay off your balance so it's hardly worth it unless you have very low levels of annual spending.

€40 stamp duty per annum per card will be payable once you move. I was in the same position and once I changed address I was billed for it. Might depend on how vigilant the credit card provider is.

There is nothing to stop you keeping the cards and simply putting a forwarding mail address in place with Royal Mail, hence your card provider won't even know you've moved until you tell them. That mail forwarding is a cost however. If you are going to be over and back a lot, it would be handy to have but other than that, you're paying money for convenience

I've never had a UK credit card and bought things on amazon.co.uk for fifteen years.

Having a UK card might save a little on FX commission but you're talking a few euros a year at most levels of purchase.

The major advantage of a UK credit card is that there is no €40 stamp duty. But if you are earning and spending in € then there is FX commission on purchases and then again when you want to pay off your balance so it's hardly worth it unless you have very low levels of annual spending.
I see what you mean but I fly back and forth to the UK alot, shop alot in UK and I find the UK credit card great for booking flights from UK. I have an income stream too from UK so it does help enormously.

Back