Mover - switch possible?

HomeBuyer22

I am sale agreed on a new house, and am currently in the process of getting multiple mortgage approvals in order to avail of the cash back offers. I am not a FTB, and do not have to sell existing property.
For the new mortgage approvals, I am being classified by the banks as a “mover”.
So, my plan is to draw down with PTSB and BOI, get the cash back , and then move to KBC and stay with them.
However, when I draw down with PTSB, and then look to drawdown with BOI, I will no longer be a “mover”, I will be a “switcher”. Will the other mortgage approvals I have in place with BOI and KBC still be valid, or will have to restart the process with them as my status will have changed from “mover” to “switcher”?
Struggling to see how this will work, having read all the threads on here.
Thanks for any feedback , appreciated

Last edited:
Once your mortgage approval doesn't expire and your solicitor is ok with the process you should be fine.

Thanks @skrooge.
My mortgage approval won't expire, but the mortgage approval I have is for a mover. I'm concerned that when I go to draw down on the second mortgage, the bank will make me start the process again, as it's no longer a mover but a switcher.
All the case studies I've seen on here are for pure "switchers", so I see the logic of why it works. I haven't seen any evidence of someone successfully completing what I'm proposing to do...

I have officially started this process, have 3 mortgage loan offers in place. Hoping to sign for ‘first’ mortgage in coming days. The BOI offer expires end of the year, so need to drawdown on that before then. The plan is then to drawdown with PTSB and finally KBC.
I will keep you posted of my progress in the next few months!

So I have drawn down on variable rate mortgage with BOI. I had planned to proceed with the PTSB drawdown, but my solicitor has now informed me that they are not comfortable with the process. They feel they are obliged to tell PTBS that I am a "switcher" now and not a "mover". Apparently there is a different loan pack for "switcher" mortgages and "mover" mortgages, with different conditions. They feel they would not be disclosing all information to PTSB if they drawdown on my existing loan offer.
I see this as being conceptually the same as the many "switcher" examples on this forum - technically, the borrower's position has changed since the original paperwork was provided to each bank, but the solicitor does not feel obliged to inform each bank of this.
I would be confident that if we approach PTSB and tell them I am now a "switcher", they will withdraw the loan offer and will tell me I need to be with BOI for 12 months before I can proceed with a switch.
It seems strange that different solicitors have different approaches to this.
Any feedback welcome

Try a different solicitor?
Not sure this would be feasible at this stage ?
As it's a new build house, I guess my existing solicitor will be dealing with property title registration.

I should add - my solicitor is adamant that the conditions on the KBC loan offer definitely cannot be met (because I am now a "switcher"), so that is definitely a "no-go".

It's worth a conversation with another solicitor. Happy to provide you with details, I'm currently in the middle of a four-step switch and going smoothly so far.

And it's worth checking with one of the banks. Maybe ring the sales team (without identifying yourself first), and ask if they would let you change your Mover approval to a Switcher one, or would you have to start from scratch.

I imagine that the banks see movers as riskier than switchers, since it's a more complex process and there's more that could go wrong. So they might not have a problem with it.

Thanks @giddings .
I've decided I'm staying with BOI, going to go on a 1y fixed and then look at switching after that. I'll be on a rate of 2.9% with BOI, could have gotten 2.5% elsewhere, but with 2% cashback from BOI it still makes sense to stay with them for 1y.
Going back to PTSB and asking them to change my mover to a switcher would be a non-runner I think - straight away they would say "you need to be with your current lender for 12m".
I potentially could change solicitors - even my own solicitor suggested same - but just not comfortable with the process at this stage.
If you could PM me solicitor recommendation that would be great, as will be looking to switch in 12 months - thanks!

Last edited:
Back