Move from Using BT Switch box to CPS

Madilla

I have been using BT for many years and recently subscribed for Talk and Broadband package.It worked fine for about a week or so(after an initial blip where although I had received a letter advising that the connection had been activated it had not in fact-took three calls and nearly three hours of holding time to resolve this). The problem I have is that when I signed up many years ago you needed an extra piece of hardware called a switchbox wired to your incoming phone point. Now I cannot make outgoing calls if I leave this box connected but I have no broadband if I disconnect it. I have been on to BT but they have told me it will take up to 10 days to resolve because of a huge volume of calls due to storms . I had originally logged the call using their fault report facility on their website but I have now had my third mail back telling me the fault has been closed. This is despite me mailing them back on each occasion to advise that my problem persists.Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I cannot make outgoing calls if I leave this box connected but I have no broadband if I disconnect it.

This doesn't make a lot of sense, but try replacing the dialer box with an ADSL filter -- does that allow broadband to work?

If not, how many phone connection points do you have? Where are the broadband modem, phone(s) and dialer box located, and what order are they connected in? What do your broadband modem diagnostics say when broadband doesn't work? This all sounds like a localised wiring issue you will be able to resolve yourself, and not something BT can fix remotely.

I have the ADSL filter connected but it does not make any difference.I have a phone connection in each room in the house - 9 in all.The router is connected to an extension. I have an ADSL filter on this and other phone extensions that are in use.The main phone line is in my hall and this is where the router box is located.All I know is when I disconnect the switchbox the DSL and internet lights on the router go out. How do I check modem diagnostics ? Thks for your help

Remove the dialer switch-box and connect your broadband router directly to the main phone point -- does the DSL connection come up then?

If so, it sounds like removing the dialer switch-box breaks some or all of the extension connections. You may need to rewire the extensions to ensure they are connected to the phone line properly.

I've never seen or used a dialer switchbox so I'm speculating somewhat above. I am very familiar with how ADSL should work though. I'm also assuming that (since the router connects sometimes) you have the DSL filters connected correctly (it's easy to accidentally connect the DSL router to a port that has the DSL frequencies filtered out!).

As for router diagnostics, usually you can access a status page by visiting the router's IP address in your web browser, e.g. http://192.168.1.1 . You may need a password to access it though. In this case a status page is unlikely to help, as both LED indicators being off is pretty definitive.

I have connected the router via cable to desktop PC and broadband works fine.I still have a problem with laptop.First when I boot up I get error c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\DLCFtime.dll Missing entry:RunDLL Entry.For Wireless connection I get a message ltd or no connectivity and tried to enable connection but get message windows could not finish because could not renew ip address.If I enter ip address in TCP ip settings from details in network connection I get wireless conn enabled but no internet connection. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?-Thks