Mounttown=Dun Laoghaire?

SunshineSupe

Hi.

We are looking for houses in Dun Laoghaire and found a house in the Mounttown area that advertises itself as Dun Laoghaire.

We're a bit confused about whether Mounttown is a separate area from Dun Laoghaire. The houses we are looking at have Dun Laoghaire postal addresses, but the GPS says they are in Mounttown. Is there really a difference?

Also, we are further confused about what's happening to the Dun Laoghaire golf course. Is it going to be developed? We've heard different things about it (e.g. developed for homes and apartments, relocating St. Michael's Hospital there) and are not sure what is really going on. Any ideas on where we might get more information on this?

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts as to what this area is like in terms of safety, schools, etc. Some people have said that the surrounding areas might be a bit on the rough side (e.g. Monkstown Farm), and it's really hard to tell from just driving around.

All advice gratefully accepted!

Thanks
S

Planning was granted for Dun Laoghaire golf course earlier this week for apartments, offices ete etc it will be developed over the next 8-10 years barring appeals. Why not check out the Co Co planning department for details.
Here is the announcment in the indo-

Monkstown Farm has got a bit of a rough ride in the past, I have always found it to be fine, bit of a graffitti problem though.

In general I think Mounttown is a good area.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Mounttown. Seems to be more owner/family occupied than DL and a lot more "settled" and conservative (if that's your thing). DL is a much bigger town with all the consequential problems that can bring and there are some parts to it you wouldn't exactly see on a postcard.

SunshineSupe - I live in the area you are referring to
Which estate are you talking about specifically?

e.g. Ash Grove, Rose Park, Carraiglea, Ardmore Park, etc

Mounttown is literally on the edge of Dun Laoghaire, very close walking distance.
Probably nearer Salthill DART station than Dun Laoghaire station.
McCormack's pub in Mounttown is popular with a couple of people I know who live in that area.
46a bus goes through it.
Monkstown tennis club very close by, also Monkstown Pool & Fitness Centre (public and pay as you use)
Fitzgerald Park which was pretty bad is being demolished and rebuilt.
Monkstown Farm has improved a lot over the years and has a few good convenience shops, pizza place, bookies, post office, and some more besides.
The development of the old Dun Laoghaire golf club is going to make traffic much heavier, so if the house you're looking at is near Glenageary Road bear that in mind.

What are the house prices like in Mounttown, say a 3 bed semi?

Joejoe