Mount Wolseley in Carlow?

Thanks! We have two (nearly a year and nearly 2 1/2) children and this will be our first night night away alone since the second one was born (we got away between the kids too!). I didn't want to go too far, but I do want to be able to relax!! Is there much grounds around the hotel? Is there much to see within walking distance?

stayed in the mount wolseley houses a few years ago. lovely houses. very roomy. used to up to the hotel at night for a swim and later a few scoops. cant recall the grounds. its kind of a gated estate if I remember. Hotel was nice and leisure centre was good. Think Hilton have taken it over.

10 min walk to centre of Tullow. Nice riverbank walk there. Local museum in the town. Call into the tailor there and get a nice suit. Brand new public library with kiddies books and sometimes activities...ohh... weekend... prob closed. Forans pub for quiet old mans pub, The Irish bar for young people, the Tara Arms for middle of road.

The hotel is on a golf course but you are not supposed to walk on it unless playing golf. Kids could start crying when player taking shot etc or get hit with ball. There is a great kids playground, rubber matted etc tennis court, good pool, spa, gym.

Thanks Beaky! We are going without the kids, so will avoid the playground!! Good to hear that Tullow is so close, it sounds close enough for a wander in, but not a strenous walk, IYKWIM. I'm not too interested in pubs, but it's good to hear that there is a bit of life around!!

Missed the bit about leaving the kids. If u want to drive 5 miles or so, Altamount Gardens are well worth a visit if open. Go on the Altamount 100 steps walk by the river slaney. Beautiful. Biggest Dolmen in Europe, BrownsHill Dolmen, is 7 miles away.