Mount Symon Avenue, Clonsilla

October2c

We are looking at some properties in Mount Symon Avenue, Clonsilla.
Is anyone living in that estate or knew someone lived in that area able to give us some good advices?
Can anyone tell me what is the pros and cons of this areas?
Such as quietness of the area and neightbours in the area.
we are hoping to buy a house where we can live for at least 10 years. we are not buying for investment only.
I would hope someone can give us some good advices. If we are going to buy a house there, it's going to be a big mortage purchase for us... we would love to know more about that area and is it worth to spend that amount of money on houses there.

I lived there for a couple of years on the Lawns and overall I liked it
I moved out before the new road was open which is around 2 years ago. A couple of things that I didn't like were
  • The kids using the estate as a short cut, hopping walls to get to the main road, shops and roaring and shouting in the process etc
  • Cars being burnt out. This doesn't happen anymore since the new road opened
  • There's a lot of rented houses in the estate, at least around me. I had them both sides of me and behind me. In the last few months before I sold up I was totally surrounded by rented houses. No problems there apart from the non stop parties and loud techno music.
I would recommend you " stake out" the house to see what your new neighbours may be like

I've lived in Mount Symon for over 4 years.

Positive points:

It's a pretty quite estate. I've rarely seen anti-social behavior. There is a resident's association which does try to keep the estate maintained as Fingal CoCo hasn’t taken it in charge yet. [broken link removed]

Proximity to Clonsilla train station. Less than 10 mins walk. Trains are frequent in the rush hour though overcrowded. Although it would be worse trying to get on in Coolmine or Castleknock.

Plenty of shopping nearby. Ongar is a newish area a few minutes away towards Clonee. Has a Dunnes, bakery, coffee shop, etc. Blanchardstown Centre is close and has pretty much whatever you need. Another Dunnes. There is a Tesco in Roselawn and a Superquinn in Blanchardstown village. Blanchardstown village has plenty of pubs, restaurants, etc. Not within walking distance.

In about five minutes you can be heading out the canal toward Leixleip if you want to go for a cycle, walk or run. Gets away from the traffic!

Some negative points:

There are quite a few rented houses in each road. Where I am I'd say it's about 40%. Having said that most are being rented by families and have been continuously since I moved in. Rarely have problems with noise, etc.

A lot of development had taken place in D15 over the last number of years. I don't have children but the situation with school places is supposed to be a bit of a problem. Although I think the Dept of Education has committed to building a number of new schools in the very near future. There is a lot of further development planned for the Hansfield SDZ.

Traffic can be a big problem especially morning commute if you are going to town.

I don’t know what is planned for the undeveloped land opposite the Avenue. A builder applied for permission to build apartment there some time ago but this was rejected by Fingal.

Overall I’m quite happy to live here.

Hi, I've also lived here for 4 years and generally very happy. Agree that some roads have a high percentage of renters but the majority do seem to be families so no major noise problems. There are probably 5 or 6 houses for sale in the estate at the moment and to be honest if I had a choice I'd choose from one of the other roads such as the rise or the close. Obviously the Avenue is the busiest traffic wise as it's the only entrance / exit from the estate. The RA organises litter collections a few times a year which keeps the estate looking tidy and is also very helpful should you have any problems.
Traffic is a bit of a nightmare though and at this time of year it takes me an hour to get to Parkwest in the morning (8 miles) (down Knockmaroon Hill).

I viewed a property yesterday in the area and loved the look of it..wel kept gardens and not a concrete jungle like a lot of other places i have visited. would it be a good place to buy for a first time buyer?

Last edited:
hi missus 09,
we are living in mt symon gfor nerly 6 years now. it's a nice estate people are friendly. it's not a bad commute into town either by train. good proimity tp shpos and m50. a new park - beechpark has recently opened up near the train station which is nice for walks and there is a nice playground there too. the only negative that wrecks my head is the guys who cut the grass sometimes do a rubbish job! there are plenty of houses for sale so bargain hard.
decembersal

just wondering is there any quicker way to get out of the estate on foot other than walking out the main entrance? We viewed a house in the Dale and it was nice but not sure about % who are renting ..

Just beside the Dale the path goes past Portersgate and brings you out beside the railway station - 8 mins walk!

To get onto the Ongar road you'd have to do the long walk I'm afraid :-(

There are a few types of 39 buses though and some go up and down the Ongar Road and some go via the Clonsilla Rd past the entrance to Portersgate.

Last edited:
Back