Mount Oval/Kensington Upper, Rochestown, Cork

T

thenovice

We were previously priced out of buying a home in Mount Oval. Today, we again had a drive around the area and were impressed with Kensington Upper, which is opposite the entrance to Mount Oval. Has anyone an idea of the price of the bungalows and two storeys in this estate? Also, any views on what the estate is like to live in? Many thanks.

There are about 3 houses for sale in Upper Kensington at the minute and are at a significant discount to Mount Oval. From speaking to people in the area houses are slow to shift since the start of September when a large number of houses came on the market at the same time. There appears to be a glut of houses for sale in the general area right now and hense, I think now would be a good time to go viewing and maybe making an offer.
Am I the only one to see a slowdown in the market?????

yes there is a slowdown over there. Do yourself a favour and check the traffic in the morning it is shockingly bad down that hill and into Rochestown.
For that kind of money i would look to Blackrock/ Bllinlough/ Ballintemple just my take.

Am I the only one to see a slowdown in the market?????
Have rung up about 7 houses in douglas/carrigaline area. They've all been on for well over a month - some more than 2 months and no bids on any of them.

yes there is a slowdown over there. Do yourself a favour and check the traffic in the morning it is shockingly bad down that hill and into Rochestown.
For that kind of money i would look to Blackrock/ Bllinlough/ Ballintemple just my take.

I think the traffic in Rochestown isn't helped by the fact that Maryborough Hill is closed from Maryborough Woods up. People trying to access the Maryborough estates above the golf club/Maryborough Woods have to head down the Rochestown Road and then up coach hill, hense causing gridlock on the Rochestown Road. Once upper Maryborough Hill roadworks are complete the Rochestown Road will calm down.
But still, that doesn't explain the slowdown in the housing market in the general area.. Interest rates and high oil prices are starting to take effect. In the words of the song.... "There may be trouble ahead......."

As a native Corkonian,I would just reiterate the point re traffic.Agreed Maryborough hill is having a temporaryadverse effect,but traffic in Douglas is a nightmare!.a lot harder to get house in B'rock/Ballintemple area-though new houses in Eden could cause some traffic issues in B'rock as well

Same as any other Cork suburb then I guess...

Once upper Maryborough Hill roadworks are complete the Rochestown Road will calm down.
"

i honestly don't believe this because there will just be a ton more cars from the Passage area by then so if you wanna come down from Coach hill you are still going to get caught?

There is a slowdown in that price bracket definately - friends living over there have said it to me. But in the under €400k it is still alive and well.
There is definately trouble ahead i reckon - all the signs are there, just this morning 200 jobs are gone in the city - company moving to eastern Europe.
Grim

A lot harder to get house in B'rock/Ballintemple area-though new houses in Eden could cause some traffic issues in B'rock as well

I know but i mention it because it is to me more for your money. Personally i would prefer a €450k house in Ballinlough than one in Mt. Oval. But thats just me.

absolutely agreed re B'lough v Mt Oval

I concur with the above statements but the whole idea of this thread was the price of houses in Upper Kensington, Rochestown. With a number of houses for sale in Upper Kensington at the minute and none moving/under offer (I have checked) now might be a good time for the starter of this thread to have a second look at the estate if he/she is still in need of a house in that area...

And i suppose why i posted was to imply it might also be a good time to reevaluate teh reasons why OP wants to live in this area, as it is not what it was - the traffic will never get much better because further out the road in Passage (actually marketed as Rochestown) is another huge development with a load of houses and cars.
I lived in Ballinlough and while the area is very near town it is not the same gridlock as Douglas trying to get home, just out the link and up Boreenamanna rd. and home! As a non-cork person, had I not expreienced the area i would not have even considered it.

If you are totally sold on the area and none of the houses there are moving then go in with an offer much lower than whats being asked. You might get a feel for what is the true value that they will settle for and you can work from there.