mouldy carry-tot straps!

majee

hope i'm in the right forum here. Borrowed a childs carry-tot from friends ages back and when we were finished with it we stored it in the attic. Friends want it back now but when I went to get it from the attic the straps had gone very mouldy and stained. Tried cleaning with soapy water and various other cleaning agents but there's large black spots remaining and it looks very tatty. Anyone know anything that may remove the stain or better still, can you purchase new straps for a carry-tot?

There is a powerful Mildew remover from Dettox in a green spray bottle. Try it on a small area first before spraying the whole strap. We had mildew on a window ledge and one spray literally made it disappear.

In light of scares in the past about the use of old mattresses and cot deaths I would prefer if at all possible to buy new straps rather than remove mould with a possibly strong chemical.

I wouldn't see the danger with "mouldy" straps to be honest ( a mouldy mattress would be a different matter of course), these straps are very difficult to clean and I've never seen clean straps in any eating establishment that has child seats. As long as the child isn't chewing or can't ingest the straps where's the danger? If the straps are removable I'd stick them in the washing machine and allow them to dry naturally.

I've always put straps and seat covers in the washing machine and they have come out very clean.

Back