Mould

dodo

My en suite seems to have a little mould on the wall and around the window, I checked the air vent and noticed when I removed it the hole to let the air in is about 1/10 the size of the vent and there is wooden latts behind the vent so I cant remove them. very little air seems to be getting in when I put my hand up to feel the air coming in. could this be causing the mould, also my home is on the 10 year bond with a year left , what are my options,and what can I do about the mould although small now but what to nip it in the bud thanks

Yes poor ventilation will cause mould. you may want to consider installing an extractor van instead of or in addition to your vent. You can feed the extractor fan from your light so that it goes on when the light is turned on.

You can buy a fungacide wash to clean off the mould. I bought some in Vincent Burns(now closed) a couple of years ago. You apply the liquid with a sponge and leave for 48 hours. You should be able to buy a fungucide in any dedent hardware shop.

Just discovered furry mould at the back of our whicker unit in the bedroom (which is situated in the corner of the room near window). There is no signs of mould on the walls, or surrounding area. But from reading posts, it looks like its a condensation issue. Our windows in the morning is covered in internal condensation... we only moved into the house few months ago....

We have removed the unit from our bedroom, but obviously there is an issue that has to be addressed -

Any advice on how we remove the existing mould from the whicker unit? or is this something that should be dumped?

we had a bit of a leak during the summer and ended up with a lovely patch of mould on our sitting room wall beside the back door.

Once the wall had dried I scrubbed away the mould and sprayed the patch with a Dettol mould spray (bought in tescos). It was only recommended for tiles etc (not for plaster) but I wanted to kill the blasted thing so I chanced it! Death to all moulds!

Anyway, hasn't been back since and we've repainted the patch on the wall which was slightly discoloured. Dunno if this is any help because I know you need to get rid of the source of damp...

Thanks stresshead!
I was a bit of a stresshead myself this morning, when I discovered it!!! not nice!!! and a bit of a worry as we're only in the house few months (2nd hand home), our first!!!

Anyways, I'll give it a good clean with mould spray and surrounding areas just in case... Temporary solution!!!

Yup same situation with me, our first home, it's around 30 years old, and it was just one of a number of "issues" we had after the move! At least yours is in your ensuite, ours was in the sitting room so we had to introduce all our guests to our pet mould.

The dettol spray smells nice and clean and will remove all the staining too. If you leave it there the mouldy smell will grow and it's a damp, unhealthy smell. Also the mould will spread and spread (not wanting to scare you!). But you will still need to get rid of the damp or your little friend will keep coming back!

Hiya Stresshead!!!

Last night I went home and took a swab of the "hairy growth" it wasn't damp, and had not marked the whicker furniture???

I got the hoover, and hey presto its all gone????

I still think its some sort of mould, but nothing I've seen before, it wasn't wet, didn't stain?! Still a bit of a puzzle!!!

Anyway, I've read up on all the comments on AAM - and will incorporate short term solutions, like opening window in bedroom more etc, and in the spring we will get new double glazed windows... current ones are old double glazed aluminium that has broken down!!!

hoovering will remove the "hairs", but I would be fairly sure that it will grow back. y'see it's made up of finger-like projections (rhizoids) that anchor it on to the surface, then once it's got settled it will send up those hairy bits you can see (sporangiophores), with the aim of spreading it's seed. Hoovering it will slow progress but the hairs will return unless you kill the organism itself (i.e, the rhizoids).

Believe it or not it's actually my job to know all this stuff (although I don't like having to put it into practise in my own house I must admit!)

I would be fairly sure that if you leave it a week and check again it might be back (if there is any damp at all). It's not a wicker laundry basket is it? Cos wet towels could be the problem if it is.

I would try to kill it if possible, and hopefully it won't return. the humid weather we had over the last couple of months can't have helped.

Hi its a whicker drawer unit... only thing in it is dry underwear... the mould only affected the back, not visible on the inside!

I've moved the unit away from the corner, leaving a greater gap between it and the window.

I will be demoulding unit with Mould spray tonight!!!

Not nice seeing anything like that, nothing like that in mam and dads home!!!