Motorcycling in the US

Carnmore

I'll be in the US for up to 14 days and using a friend's motorcycle.

Can anyone advise on how the mobile network works in the US? I will need coverage for occasional calls and phone satnav when there. I'm on the Three Ireland network using an iPhone and want to avoid roaming charges as much as possible.

I'd like to take some footage when travelling - which is a good action camera to use?

Any general advice on motorcycling in the US would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I will need coverage for phone satnav

You can download areas to Google Maps that can be used offline. Within Maps, zoom to the area you want to cover, in the search box type 'OK Maps' and hit the search button. You will be prompted to confirm the area you want to download (it'll also tell you how much storage will be required), you then hit OK to start the download.

Prior to doing that, search out locations you are likely to stop at along the way, and on the search results page, hit the save button. That way you will be able to search the list and navigate between them without using data.

I'm on Vodafone, so can't help you with Three roaming.

Make sure your travel insurance covers you for motorcycling, not all do (or just cover small bikes around 125cc).

Three have no options for the US. Best bet is to call into a mall in the US and buy a US sim. We did not do this in February and l was charged high fees for data which l used sparingly.

OsmAnd for open source GPS maps without needing a data connection. But you need to download the maps onto your device first.

Thank you. Would this work for Apple Maps also?

Apple doesn't support downloading data for offline use. I believe it will retain whatever data is on-screen when you go out of coverage, but that's a risky ploy.

Sygic GPS app is another alternative, North America maps with lifetime updates starting at $12.50.

I think I'll get a USA SIM for when I'm there. Is this suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOST-SIM-Unlimited-Speed-network/dp/B07L9M9RMR/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=US+SIM+card&qid=1565383790&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Apple doesn't support downloading data for offline use. I believe it will retain whatever data is on-screen when you go out of coverage, but that's a risky ploy.

You can download Google maps from the apple store and use it on the iPhone. Allows you to download maps for offline use and also specifically download directions for offline

You can download Google maps from the apple store and use it on the iPhone. Allows you to download maps for offline use and also specifically download directions for offline

Yep, already covered in post #2, post #7 referred to Apple Maps.

I'd buy a ready to go phone with all you can eat data and then just use its hotspot to tether my Irish phone. Then turn off data roaming on the Irish phone. That way you have no data roaming charges. The only downside is carrying two phones.

I'd buy a ready to go phone with all you can eat data and then just use its hotspot to tether my Irish phone.

Mobile https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-ellipsis-jetpack-mhs900l/?sku=sku2400108 (hotspot) might work too and be a little more portable...but not as practical in the long run, as the spare RTG phone might make a good backup.

Yep, already covered in post #2, post #7 referred to Apple Maps.

I know - the question implied (or I read it as) he wasn't using Google maps on Apple - I was clarifying that he can and therefore get the offline capabilities.

Back