Motor Tax on '06 cars?

Joe Nonety

If I bought a '06 car that was bought in the UK and brought into Ireland post July '08, do I pay Motor Tax based on the old system (engine size) or the new system (emissions)?

Motor tax is payable based on the old system engine size - VRT would have been based on emissions.

Ok thanks. I thought people who bought cars in the UK paid emission based Motor Tax rates when they brought the car back into Ireland as well as the emission based VRT.

Ok thanks. I thought people who bought cars in the UK paid emission based Motor Tax rates when they brought the car back into Ireland ......

Only for cars registered new in the original country of origin after June 2008

cars registered anytime in 2008 can be taxed at the new co2 rates of road tax.

So my 03 Peugeot 1.4 is rated 149 emissions and is it correct that I can pay my car tax based on emissions rather than engine cc.

Eg. Co2 emmissions = € 302

cars registered anytime in 2008 can be taxed at the new co2 rates of road tax.

So my 03 Peugeot 1.4 was registered in Ireland in September 08 is rated 149 emissions and is it correct that I can pay my car tax based on emissions rather than engine cc.

Eg. Co2 emmissions = € 302 pa
CC = € 333 pa

Only cars registered new in their original country of origin in 2008 can avail of emissions based tax, otherwise its engine capacity.

If you bring an 08 car in from UK/ NI, you have a choice, if emissions based is cheaper you can get this rate. Car can be january to june registered.

The new road tax system is for 08 cars. If you bring a car in from the UK it can be new or used as long as it is anytime 08. Pre 08 cars are old system.

Only for cars registered new in the original country of origin after June 2008

cars originally registered anytime in 2008 can avail of the CO2 road tax rates.

So my 03 Peugeot 1.4 is rated 149 emissions and is it correct that I can pay my car tax based on emissions rather than engine cc.

Eg. Co2 emmissions = € 302

im sure you know the anser to that one yourself????
i was replying to another post which stated that only cars first registered afetr july 2008 can avail of the CO2 road tax rates