Motor tax BMW X5

virgo08

I have a 2008 x5. Someone told me recently to look into the tax I pay as there was an article in one of the papers that they were taxed incorrectly. I currently pay €1200 per yr. it's a 3ltr diesel. Anyone know if this is true??

Here's the information from www.citizensinformation.ie

The amount of motor tax you pay for a vehicle registered before July 2008 is proportionate to the size of your vehicle's engine - in other words, the more powerful your vehicle, the higher the cost of your motor tax. For new cars registered since July 2008, motor tax charges are determined on the basis of seven CO2 emission bands with lower emissions resulting in lower charges.

New cars registered between January 2008 and June 2008 had their motor tax charged on the basis of engine size initially. If it was beneficial for those cars to switch to the CO2 based motor tax system, this happened on the first renewal of motor tax after June 2008. The CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

I have just noticed that this info hasn't been updated to reflect the increase in emission bands, introduced in 2013.

What is the CO2 output of the X5?
And what date in 2008 was first registration?

From looking at your post you seem to be paying the correct rate, the cO2 output price is circa €1200 but the CC price is circa €1400.

Does anyone know where you can get the historical CO2 emissions rates going back to 2008?