motor law questions, 5 summonses, all but 1 being withdrawn

kada_fd

My husband was pulled over by a guard on St. Stephens day, driving home a car he had just bought for me for Christmas, he had changed his insurance over to drive it, but the car tax was out of date, he was told to produce his insurance and NCT for the car at our local station, which was the next county away, which he produced. He was also off the road on the 16th of January and cancelled his own insurance so could not tax the car.

In march he received 5 summonses for
-failure to produce nct certificate (which he did),
-failure to display nct (which the garage owner had placed on the car window himself)
-failure to provide insurance certificate (which was also done)
-driving the car without nct and
-not having tax.

He contacted the guard who issued them to him saying he had shown them at our local Garda station, the guard checked up on this and said there were records of him showing his insurance certificate but nothing about the nct..and also that he had given a few months for tax to be paid on the car, but the car has been off the road since as i have not applied for my provisional yet and the log was put in my name.

The guard said then he would withdraw the NCT ones if my husband forwarded on a copy of the NCT cert again.

My questions are..what are the usual fines for having no tax on the car? If the guard hasn't removed the other summonses he placed could we contest them?

Whatever about the NCT & insurance summons, it appears that the tax one will stick as the car wasnt taxed on the day he was stopped.

todays the day we find out, it will prob just be a fine on tax i'm hopeing! so thanks

ok so far the story is, my husband just rang from the court house, the guard never retracted the other summonses like he said he would, so he is stil up for all 5 summons atleast my husband has his solicitor with him

he's still out there and i can't call him yet...i'm at home sick so its a very nervous waiting game here! but i'll post up as soon as i know something!

finaly..news and a better result than i thought we would get...the guard dropped the nct summons just before they were called, the solicitor explained our situation to the judge and he got only a 50euro fine, which chocked my poor husband as just beforehand some guy got fined 800 for having no tax, so i must say a huge sigh of relief!

Askaboutlaw For legal issues not covered in another forum. Ask about conveyancing in Mortgages forum. Ask about road traffic law in motoring. Ask about tenant issues in Property Investment.

Its great that sense won the day. Ye must be very relieved.