Motor insurance while abroad

P

philip o

Does anyone have any experience of insuring a vehicle other than your own while travelling in France or Eu. My hibernian private policy does not allow a temporary substitution to drive a hired car or van in an other country. This is feckin up my wine trip!!!

did they give a reason? Could it be that the hire company require comprehensive cover and your current policy only has TP/TPFT? If so, why not increase the cover under your current policy then try again.

Another solution would be to hire the van, insurance included, either in Ireland or in France.

My policy will not cover me to drive another vehicle abroad regardless
whether Fully Com or tpft. The cost of hiring a van here including insurance wasnt viable. I was looking for a cheap way to do it. So now its back to my own car for the trip. Roof box for the luggage (€65) and back seat (modified) and boot for the wine. 25 cases!!!

I still do not understand. your policy should cover you in the policy territories, which should include the EU and you should have minimum cover there. They should give a better reason, than a simple NO.

The Driving of Other cars extension from hibernian applied when i was in france some years ago. I telephoned before I went, got a friend's car over there and drove on the hibernian policy.

are you through a broker or direct. if direct, ask to speak to someone in control, such as the person who signed the cerificate or the head of motor business.

Back