Motor Insurance Week/Month On / Off /On again?

Setanta12

I need to cut back - but I will also be driving considerably less and am due to renew car insurance.

Is it possible to ring up motor insurers to say, 'I don't want to be insured for the coming week/month etc'.

(I am aware that it is illegal to drive without insurance and am not intending to do so)

Afraid not. Most insurers will allow you to suspend your policy but credits are given on a monthly basis so wouldn't be worth your while on a daily basis. In the UK you can take out temporary cover for days or weeks but thats not available here. Inform your insurer that your mileage has cut right down, some will give restricted mileage discounts and make sure to shop around.

Most companies will allow you to suspend your policy. In your case if you take out a new policy, pay it up front and then suspend for two months, you will get a credit at the end of the year or when you go back on cover for the two suspended months. It works if you're off the road for a consistent period but not for non driving days here and there.

There may also be an "admin charge" for each change to your policy (suspension for a period, re-instatement) if you operate through a broker

Motor Insurers design their products to make this as difficult and unviable as possible.

Remember, No Claims Bonus/Named Driver Discount are only recognised in one year discrete units. This means if you cut your insurance at 11 months and 29 days, you will get 0 NCB Years and not 1 Year.

NCB years are also only recognised in continuous time, meaning that if are insured for 1 year, have a break, and then get insured for 2 years, you will only have 2 Years NCB to show for it and not 3.