Motor Insurance - anti competitive

jenzz

My saga continues....

recently flooded car - insurance company says must use their repair centre. I disagree as I can legally choose where to have it repaired. They are now saying in these flood cases I must use their garage or if I dont my garage must drop their price to match their garage.

Their garage obviously tendered for the contract in the first place undercutting others in order to get the contract.

is this anti competitive ?

I checked the insurance schedule & says nothing at all about it. On their web site the only reference to this is that they will give you a car IF you use one of their approved repair centres.

So go back to them and say that your policy does not contain such a restriction and see what they say. If necessary complain to them and/or the ombudsman.

My saga continues....

recently flooded car - insurance company says must use their repair centre. I disagree as I can legally choose where to have it repaired. They are now saying in these flood cases I must use their garage or if I dont my garage must drop their price to match their garage.

Their garage obviously tendered for the contract in the first place undercutting others in order to get the contract.

is this anti competitive ?

The company did not force you, but did advise that you would be able to benefit from it in one of two ways:

a) Offer car hire
b) Be in a position to keep the cost of the claim at a minimum

This will benefit you for obvious reasons in the former, in the latter, it will reduce your claims cost, perhaps at your renewal your NCB may nto be stepped back / you may be freely be in a position to move insurance company quite easily if the damage amount is at a particular level.

More worringly you appear to state that you'd rather have the cost of the vehicle repaired at a higher price ?

Are you attempting to defraud your insurance company ?

It bears all the hallmarks of such an action.

far from it.

I want my car repaired in an Opel garage not a garage I have never heard of. If opel charge what they charge I have no control over this .All i am GAINING is piece of mind that my car is repaired to Opels standards using Opel parts. Which is why i purchased the car from this garage in the first place.

Working in the insurance industry and from the sound of things....for the company that you are discussing....are you aware that the vast majority of main dealers don't actually do their own repairs? These are farmed out to small outfits who charge a tiny amount to the main dealer and then the main dealer jacks the price up before giving the estimate to you.

Any parts used on your vehicle by the approved repairer will be main dealer parts not spurious ones and as it is your vehicle you are entitled to see the list of new parts and the old ones that have been replaced should you wish.

An approved repairer network is set up to provide a quick, efficient cost-effective repair - this is good for you as you have a guarantee, good for the insurer, as you'll be satisfied with the work done and good for keeping down claim costs which as well as benefitting you, benefits everyone ultimately by keeping premium costs stable.

Having a new car myself, I DO understand where you are coming from BUT having been in the industry for the last 2 1/2 yrs......there's no way that I'd let a main dealer near my car unless I knew for sure that the work being done was carried out on site.

Last edited:
thanks for that

main difference was in 2 quotes:
1. main dealer were repairing themselves & putting parts in - lots of them
2. other garage wanted to dry out car & all would be fine

hence being so worried

so 1 was quoting for a blowdry the other was quoting for a big repair so now you can see why I was really really worried. How can they both be so different.

But all was not lost, I stood my ground & the car is being written off. ( & they wanted to dry it out) scary stufff really

Thanks for all the advise - i can sleep tonight

Back