motor homes and camper vans

M

maryjune

I am interested in buying a good quality motor home for travelling Europe for a couple of months every year. Does anyone know a good and reputable dealer? Also if anyone has imported one I would be very interested to know how that worked and if it was a better option.

what area are you in. one such outlet in tullamore. know family who picked up a very cheap camper in germany, drove over to pick it up etc. sold it few months later as wife couldnt manage left hand drive.....wanted it for ireland only though.

Fort Motors in Walkinstown in Dublin sells them. I don't have a number but a friend bought one there and was very happy with it/them.

www.donagheymotorhomes.ie
I've no connection to them,but my brother in law has bought twice from them and is very pleased both with the campers and any servicing he has had done.
They normally have over 100 in stock,in all price ranges

Secondhand it is generally cheaper to go to UK or Germany yourself and buy and import the 'van. If you are buying new, though, I believe you can get the sterling equivalent price from dealers such as above. I imported from England a motorhome I sourced through eBay. No hassle importing as no VRT (well, €50 actally) as long as it over 6 months old, has 5,000km on clock and weighs over 3.0 tonnes. Need to know what you're doing though. I didn't and was lucky! Slim

I imported one from Germany myself. There is a vast selection there and prices are significantly cheaper, especially at the medium to high end.

If you are mostly going to Europe you will want a left hand drive anyway.

The import VRT is dependant on the unladen weight of the vehicle, you can easily get caught out on this.

I know people think it is alot of hassle to go and import one, but seriosuly, some of the prices in dealers are ewre astronomical. I saved over at least 10,000 euro importing myself.

I suggesy you get onto you can convert to english language, and you can also search motorhomes only. Have a good look and see what you like and what the price ranges are and then compare to here and see if it's worth it.

Thompsons of Dromore Co. Tyrone had a good stock of them when I passed by some time ago. Don't have any further information unfortunately but I'm sure a quick phonecall would solve that.

I suggesy you get onto you can convert to english language, and you can also search motorhomes only. Have a good look and see what you like and what the price ranges are and then compare to here and see if it's worth it.

+1 for www.mobile.de

My brother has bought from this company TWICE in the last 6 years and his friend is also a happy customer.

Just to clarify, mobile.de is not a dealer or sales company, they are like cbg.ie or carzone.ie... they are just listings.