Motor gone in lawnmower

The Bomb

The motor blew in my electric lawnmower over the weekend and I'm looking to see whether it is possible to get it replaced or repaired, or whether it is worth it. Could anyone give me some advice, thanks?

What make of lawnmower is it? Have you checked their website for servicing/repair details?

At a guess, unless you fancy picking up 2nd hands parts and are handy yourself, I would say that this might prove to be uneconomical to repair. The price of a new electric lawnmower could well come to someone else's labour repair costs.

Maybe worth though if it's a good or high spec model.

It's a flymo, and the only service provider in Dublin seems to be in Donabate. I thought that there might be some handy repair guy around the south city area that might have taken a look at it, but I've exhausted all golden pages & google listings. Probably cheaper just to purchase a new one as I'm really not that handy. Thanks for the help.

Just a quick one, I also replaced a flymo last year but I went for the Bosche rotary mower, similar in price but its a far superior mower, much better cut off it.

Secman

The motor blew in my electric lawnmower over the weekend and I'm looking to see whether it is possible to get it replaced or repaired, or whether it is worth it. Could anyone give me some advice, thanks?

Are you sure the motor blew - could it be something as simple as a fuse, loose connection, broken on/off switch?

It's a flymo, and the only service provider in Dublin seems to be in Donabate.

There is a lawnmower repair shop in Inchicore or at least there was last year when my brother got his fixed. I keep meaning to drop mine in but haven't got around to it yet.

It is/was on Emmet Road about 50-100m from Tyrconnell Road.

When you saw the "motor" is gone - are you sure it is the motor itself?

Because for electric mowers its very common for the capacitor to blow and make a bit of smoke rather than the motor.

The capacitor is needed to kick start the motor (they are often called "motor run capacitors" for that reason) and you can easily get a replacement if that is the cause...

If you can see the capacitor its very easy to know if that is the problem - its probably got some melted plastic leaking out of it.

From the Flymo parts website you can buy a new capacitor (Stg £20), but you would be able to buy a replacement easily enough from Maplins or Radionics..

If you can see the motor and it does look like the motor was the problem you are probably better off buying a new lawnmower (though you can buy replacement motors for around Stg£95) have a look: http://www.espares.co.uk/search/lawnmowers/p/1116

Back