Motor cycle USA

M

Moss49

Hello,
Anyone know anything about buying a bike in USA and importing it for personal use?
ie transportation possibilities/costs, taxes, documentation etc.
With the strong euro it seems like it might make financial sense.
Thanks in anticipation.
Moss

Hi Moss, I considered the same thing last year but after VAT, VRT and transport the saving was marginal. All that said the USD has since depreciated a further 10 - 15% so it might be worth revisting the excercise. (FYI I was looking at new K7 GSXR 1000). You could also look toward the UK, great depth and value in the second hand market, EURGBP is arractive at .7150 and no VAT to worry about.

Interested to hear how you get on please. What bike were you looking at?

It can be expensive and hassle to import a bike from outside of the EU. For a start you will always have to pay VAT as well as VRT, for both new and second hand bikes. Then, I think, you need to get some cert stating that the bike is EU road legal. For example, I think indicators are different in the US than the EU, so you have to change things like that. Though I don't know how strict they are with that part.

I'd look to the UK every time. massive market, enormous choice and minimal transport costs.

A few of us are considering flying to Germany next summer and driving back some BMW bikes over a few days.

wasnt slaggin or anything ,im well in to my bikes and have been for years and the amount of people wanting to buy the new bmws is unreal,if your thinkin of buying in germany rs2k did you look up [broken link removed] its there autotrader very good site ,bought alot of bikes from it and has everything on it i speend days on it goin from bikes to campers and all sorts of dreamin

Believe it or not that's exactly where we are looking jedi. The idea is to import older bikes. Maybe even 10 year old ones that will have been well looked after (god bless those nice German's) :D

They really are cheap as chips over there.

Back