most efficient heater option

OHara

eating options
Hi there

We've spent a good bit of money making our house more energy efficient and insulated (cavity wall insulation, new boiler etc) but now with rising heating costs, looking for advice on how best to heat our home. We're getting a wood burning stove for the living room but for our open plan sunroom/dining room/kitchen which is a very big space with high ceilings, its hard to heat. The whole house can be boiling with the heat on full blast and its still a bit nippy in this space. Was looking at another wood burning stove but with building work needed putting in a chimney/flue its looks too expensive.

What other options do I have, a plug in heater, oil filled, electric stove, something that will allow me to keep the main heating on low and give this area an extra boost.

Thanks a mill

it seems the open plan area was under-speced when the rads were being sized.:D

Heat costs money and it really doent matter where u get the heat from, it has to be paid for so u need to look at the output cost of delivered heat from what ever source.

The options u list will be only 2 or 3kw which may be alright for a small normal room but not for what I expect the area you describe could require.

Depending on what ur wiring is like a few fan heaters in the kitchen kick board might work neatly: it all depends on what the energy lift you need.
However fan heaters don't work well with asthma and other dust related issues

I would recommend a paraffin space heater from MCL Oil. Have a look at www.mcloil.com but bear in mind that you need to either stock up on the 20L drums when you buy the unit or ensure that they have a stockist near you.

I've an Inverter 5006 and would not be without it. bear in mind, they're flueless so you need to vent the room frequently. But a great piece of kit. And will easily heat the space you require.

Search AAM for more

They're not lookers though are they? How much to use one say for a few hours every day do you know. At least wood burning stoves look attractive, but the cost of putting it in is high.

Back