moss peat

Sarah

anyone know if Lidl sells moss peat/soil?? And if so is it any good?

I was under the impression that moss peat didn't enhance your soil, it just made it more acidic, eg. for growing heathers etc.
Aside from that, I thought from an environmental point of view, you should never buy peat moss, since it's got to come out of some bog.

So what should i use then? I was under the impression that moss peat is what you use to plant? Im new at this gardening stuff so any info would be much appriciated.I usually mix peat in with a bit of top soil...also can anyone advise can you plant Ivy in plant pots?

I thought that most of the bagged moss peat came as a by product of Bord Na Mona operations. Maybe im wrong.

So what should i use then? I was under the impression that moss peat is what you use to plant?

There are loads of alternatives nowadays, even in the likes of Woodies etc.

Most common substitute is coir, which is a by-product of the coconut industry (and has the added benefit of providing employment in third-world countries). Other alternatives include composted bark, and loam-based products.

Most peat sold for horticulture these days comes from our own beloved bogs or from those in Russia. Peat bogs are a truly precious natural habitat for many unique organisms - the destruction of Europe's peat bogs over the last century has destroyed so much biodiversity, it is incumbent on us in Ireland to preserve what's left of them.

Look for 'peat-free' on the bag when you're buying it - you'll see it on more and more bags.

Yes, ivy will grow well in a pot - the larger growing the variety of ivy, the larger the pot you need.

thanks for that ill have a look...anyone know if lidl sells peat ...of any sort? One last question, the top of the soil in my other pots looks to be growing mould or whitish fungi around it...and some of the plants leaves are brown and falling off...my back garden is windy but i have them placed where they will get equal measures of rain and sun, the soil in the pots are wet but i have bought miriacle grow to feed them but am afraid of overwatering them...any ideas how to bring them back to life??? I was thinking that maybe i planted them too low in the soil and smothered them??

Sarah,

I'm no expert but we had a very late frost this year and some plants suffered because of it. "brown leaves" etc.

Anway, there is no nourishment in peat moss, it just helps to break up the soil. Some plants need lime free soil, and need constant watering - even in our rainy climate. You can buy the lime free soil in any gardening shop or centre. Most plants have to be fed from time to time, but then you know that. If you know the names of the plants that are suffering I'll bet if you mention them in here some green fingered sharp eyed AAM person will be able to answer your queries.

Justsally

We bought used mushroom compost and dug that into the soil in our garden; big improvement in texture etc.

Can't help with suppliers in Ireland as I live in England, but I know you have mushroom growers over there.

the soil in the pots are wet but i have bought miriacle grow to feed them but am afraid of overwatering them...any ideas how to bring them back to life???

It could be any one of a million things. First things first - may seem a stupid question, but are there drainage holes in the bottom of the pots? Often pots are sold without drainage holes, and you have to drill some holes in the bottom of the pot. If there are drainage holes, try to stand the pot on something like some bricks to allow the water drain away properly.

The whiteish fungus sounds to me like you're overwatering/there's poor or non-existant drainage.

If the plants are in an exposed, windy place they could be losing their leaves due to 'wind scorch' - high winds can be very cold, and can also dehydrate a plant very quickly. Don't worry about feeding the plant yet - it doesn't sound like it needs any additional feeding (if you really wanted to, feed at half the dose recommended on the packet).

Yes, i put holes about 6 small ones into the bottom of the pot before i planted. I might just give them a bit of food to help them along...do you think i could have smothered them by planting them too low and filling with soil around them? If so can i replant? Thanks for all the replies...much appriciated...ill have a look in Lidls and the garden centre this weekend so pray i dont kill the rest of them!!!

In 99.9% of cases the golden rule is plant them at the same level they were at in the pot in which you bought them.

Once you've done that, you won't bury them too deeply (which in any event is not all that serious usually).

It is most likely that they are either in too exposed a position, or more likely still they are being overwatered - make sure the holes you made are a decent size, e.g. the width of a pencil.

If the plant is bothering you and wasn't too expensive, dump it and get some cheap and cheerful summer bedding plants this weekend.

And try and avoid buying any peat-based composts - buy peat-free

the mould is not a problem but just the compost has been with the plant a while it should just remove by hand and is a good sign of non-acid rain.
However if the white powder is on the plant then this is probably 'powdery mildew' and a fungicide and insecticide is required.

Peat has a pH of 4.3-4.5 where comnpost is peat treated with lime and this has a ph of 5.3-5.8 - again depending on the tree compost would be better - but - garden centre wise- use a John innes compost as the normal compost also contains a phosphorus hign feed within.

Miracle grow is very high in phosphorus and will only encourage very soft/ flowering growth. This is good for bedding plants but not for more 'woody' plants. Depending on the tree type you will need a 12 month osmocote SRF.