mosquitoe repellent advice wanted

STEINER

hi, heading to malta in another month or two. have seen a few blogs elsewhere saying some people experienced some bites recently over there.

anybody have any good anti mosquitoe sprays/ointments to recommend?

Tiger balm - rub some on your pulse points. Many locals in Asia use it, and it also soothes bites if you get any.

Mix citronella oil with Johnsons Baby Oil to a light straw colour and apply liberally. We used it for three years in the Caribbean and were never bitten. (This included a trip on the Caroni swamp in Trinidad where the mosquitos were biting people through their T shirts.)

Have to say that it does smell a bit!

tiger balm

that would be great if tiger balm is effective. i actually have some in my gearbag as a pre training warming rub, so if as you say that hopefully will solve the issue for me. thanks.

I have some friends currently travelling through Asia and they were recommended to carry a '100% deet spray', 50% deet is probably sufficient for most people but they didnt want to take any chances. They got it in Amazon.com

Be very careful with deet sprays. While effective, deet is damaging to many synthetic fabrics/plastics.

You don't have to go to Amazon for it. Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock and most other outdoors stores will stock it.
Leo

Be very careful with deet sprays. While effective, deet is damaging to many synthetic fabrics/plastics.

You don't have to go to Amazon for it. Great Outdoors, Snow & Rock and most other outdoors stores will stock it.
Leo

Even Tesco have it....i believe you can buy suncream with mozzy repellent in it combined - and it's 2 for 1 at the moment!

100% DEET leaves (i find) a nasty film on the skin, and as Leo says can be damaging to fabrics. If you're going to be outside at all in the evenings take a pack of citronella tealights, citronella or some mosquito coils and burn them close to where you are sitting.

I always found my ex to be an effective mosquito repellent - every bug would just devour him (we counted 100+ bites on one leg!), which meant i escaped relatively unbitten!

Bring a mosquito net with you and put it up in your bedroom at night and use the plug in repellent & tablets. Deet is the most effectively personal repellent you can use, wear long sleeve tops/trousers in the evenings and treat any bites as quickly as possible with Autan or simlar.

I am a magnet for mozzies, I always use Jungle Formula...find it very good.

We have used Avon's 'Skin So Soft' it's very effective. uy it on ebay as it's much cheaper. Also just back from Turkey and used 'Autan' - didn't get bitten. Slim

I find that 50% DEET is sufficient to prevent mosquito bites but you only really need this in tropical areas especially where there is a high malaria risk.

You don't need such a strong spray for Malta; certainly not a malaria risk there and you won't need things like mosquito nets.

I use Jungle Formula and find it quite effective

certainly not a malaria risk there and you won't need things like mosquito nets
Malaria isn't the only nasty you can get from mosquito bites. I'm allergic to them and affected areas swell up alarmingly (can't get clothes on sometimes); mozzie net is well worth it for a comfortable nights sleep.