Mortgage: rebate based on interest rates??

desparate

Hi I became aware today of a network of solicitors who will look into if you are due a rebate on interest rates on your mortgage. There are a no. of criteria in the first phase, which we seem to fulfill. There is a fee of €395 for initial research & court fees and then if u want to continue and are succesful costs are 25% plus vat of whatever rebate you receive. Could people really be due rebates? Or will I just be €395 out of pocket??

Do you think you were overcharged?

For the 395 they review your loan contract, and your mortgage statements to see if you were charged correctly. There are no court fees involved (if there were, 395 wouldn't make a dent in them !)

They won't do anything else if you weren't overcharged. So you're down 395 in that scenario.

I'd do the same for a bottle of single malt whiskey! ;)

Hi, no our local paper has an article on it. Not sure if I can mention the law firm overseeing it. According to the article this leading firm have secured a network of solicitors to deal with this. Can I post link to article?

it’s a deal RedOnion...genuinely wouldn’t have a clue if we were charged correctly or not.

I saw an ad for something similar and I was afraid to try it. My partner in his wisdom "cleared out" a folder full of paperwork I had at home with all our letters from EBS, All I have left is a loan offer with a base rate percentage on it and a completely blank borrowers copy of our mortgage

I need to request documents from EBS I assume first, but was tempted to try a firm to manage it for me. Has anyone had experience with this

@desparate,

Sorry, I've looked at this, and it's different to what I assumed. (I was looking forward to a whiskey!)

They are taking a legal challenge as to the validity of mortgage contracts. All very vague - they are taking lead cases, and they think as soon as they win legislation will be brought in to prevent anyone else taking the same action, so you have to do it now...
There's very little information - I'd be expecting to understand the basis before parting with 395.
But it seems to centre around if you weren't offered a choice of interest rate if I've read the criteria properly.

Yes it was Fahy Law. We started out mortgage in 2002. We fix it every 5 yrs. due to finish in 2022. No clue what we were offered initially. But I’d imagine we were given options

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...ons-against-banks-over-rate-changes-1.3849606

Siobhán Fahy, managing partner of Fahy Law in Dublin, said that the cases turn on the failure of financial institutions to inform their customers of a change in the ECB’s refinancing rate in 2008.

This led to their customers paying “increased interest charges when they should not have been paying them”. Asked for more detail, Ms Fahy said that it would be “improper to try and litigate this in the media and wouldn’t be in the best interests of clients”.

If they see some problem, they should refer it to the Central Bank.

Brendan

So is it worth looking at? Is it the case that it won’t affect too many and I will be just out €395. What should I be looking for to figure it out myself?

You could contact them and find out more before departing with any money.
I've found a few radio interviews about it, and it's all very vague. ECB changed how their refinancing rate was calculated, but the banks didn't tell customers. But this doesn't affect trackers. They've shared so little info, it's difficult to know what angle they're looking at.

Just had a look at their Facebook page.
The conditions are that you took loan out on your first home between 2001 and 2003 , that you didnt subsequently switch mortgage providers and interestingly
That
"You were NOT offered either a tracker rate, fixed rate or variable rate mortgage by your Bank / Building Society / Mortgage Broker before your loan was sanctioned."

I'm going to have a rummage through my old files.

I'm waiting for a call back from them.

Just to update.fahy law rang me back and said its only applicable to homes bought as part of a new development between 2001 and 2003. Not applicable to me so!

Back