Mortgage Protection Policies - shop around annually?

A

ASH123

Hi, last year I changed my Mortgage Protection policy from my mortgage provider to a broker which netted substantial savings. Is it usual to review and change policies annually? I know I can get a discounted rate for the first year if I were to change? Any advise would be welcome.

Its not usual but it can be done. There are a couple of things you need to be aware of though;

- As you get older, the cost of life assurance rises. This means that there can be diminishing marginal returns on discounts.
- If your health changes, you may get loaded or even declined in the future, this means you will probably end up staying with whatever company last accepted you at whatever their normal price is.

On the plus side, with money tight for everyone these days, there are bargains to be had by shopping around.

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

There are definitely savings to be had out there so its worth giving a broker who has access to all the life companies a call to see if you can get anything cheaper. As StevieC rightly says though, as you get older it gets more expensive and if your health has changed, it may increase the premium quoted at the outset..

"On the plus side, with money tight for everyone these days, there are bargains to be had by shopping around."

Stevie,

If I take out a policy with you and get a discount this year and next year I cancel the policy I took out with you and go to another broker what happens to your business model in a year or two?

V Best,

Sumatra

Sumatra

I'd hope that you would be happy enough with the service I gave you to allow me to requote you in year two if you wanted to shop around again.

People who shop around every year are in the minority though for a variety of reasons.

I dont want to go into further detail here or I could be accused of advertising, if you have any further questions please pm me.

Regards

Stephen

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

It was just a hypothetical query Stephen, but the reply is not the thought process insurers would like to hear.

It is getting increasingly more common for people to shop around every year for Mortgage Protection cover. When getting this cover through a broker, the life company involved will usually pay about 120% of the first years premium in commission. This figure varies with each different insurer. The plans are priced by the Life companies on the assumption that the plan stays in force for the duration of the contract (obviously some people need to alter cover and a % lapse will be factored in). With the large costs associated with writing these plans on the Life company's end, it will take at least three years for them to break even. With the relatively recent evolvement of discount brokers, several life companies have reported dramatically increased levels of lapsed policies after year one as a result of this 'loophole', for want of a better word. In my opinion, such models are unsustainable and will inevitably lead to increased premiums as the insurers lose money. Insurers are not in the business of losing money and will eventually take steps to stop such churning. Some people may reject the use of the word 'churning' on the basis that the client is getting a better deal etc, but in reality, with insurers focus now on business quality, this process I believe is an abuse of the current system which will eventually cost the end consumer

......, with insurers focus now on business quality, this process I believe is an abuse of the current system which will eventually cost the end consumer

well, the words 'quality' and 'insurance' companies are not ones normally seen in the same sentence, unless accompanied by the words 'poor' or 'none', in my experience......

And dealing with them as a consumer for 20+ years, I'm quite sure I'm not alone. When ins co's are milking people left/right/centre for the last no of decades - they're not going to get much sympathy even if things are 'tight' for them. Let's remember, their idea of 'tight' is less profit, not an actuall loss. Ditto for banks. That alone indicates the parallel universe those guys seem to inhabit.

Back