Mortgage Protection - Medical

wonko

Just wondering about this. I filled my mortgage protection application.

I admitted that I had minor back injury from football a few years back and that my dad survived colon cancer. I would also be overweight.

I have been called for a medical, any idea what this might entail? How likely is it that something would put a spanner in the works. We are beginning to come under time pressure from the vendors and wondering what sort of delay this might cause.

Thanks folks.

Have a look at this website for a brief description of what a medical entails: -

If you're just applying for life assurance cover (and not illness cover of any sort) the back injury should not be relevant. Your family history may or may not be relevant to them. The weight might be an issue, depending on how overweight you are, as you'd be aware of the increased risk of heart and other problems that result from being overweight.

Get your appointment arranged as quickly as possible - the examining doctor should return his report to the life assurance company the same day you attend, and then they should make a decision within a few working days, unless they require further tests.

I was just about to start a thread on something similiar when I saw this.

I have a mild form of asthma and a hiatus hernia neither of which cause me any trouble at all with medication. I have put these down on my form. Are these any big deal at all, and do you think I'll have to go for a medical?

Esme

Esme said:
I was just about to start a thread on something similiar when I saw this.

I have a mild form of asthma and a hiatus hernia neither of which cause me any trouble at all with medication. I have put these down on my form. Are these any big deal at all, and do you think I'll have to go for a medical?

Esme

I recently was approved for fixed term life cover, I also have asthma, and am a smoker, I was sent for a medical, just as link described. Asthma well controlled, with drugs, was not refused cover, but did increase the premium from €75 to €104. dual level term life cover. was quite pleased with final result.

My quote for life assurance/mortgage protection is €17, is that very small? In saying that my house is only €145,000, does that make a difference?

Thanks for that, Deem!

Just wondering; did my medical. Sorry if this is too much info but the doc said there were traces of blood in my urine sample.

I am off on holiday for two weeks tomorrow. was wondering what is likely to happen. Presume the insurer will need further tests. Do they stipulate by whom and how long is this likely to delay things.

The vendor is getting itchy feet about how long the process is taking. I got a great bargain on the house and couldn't bear to lose it because of this.

Thanks for any help and apologies about the medical details.

Wonko,

If you have what I had, then it's prob just a mild kidney infection. If you haven't been feeling unwell, chills, sore when peeing (sorry way TMI! :p ) then it's not too severe... trust me - you'll know when it's bad!!! I presume you left a "sample" for analysis?

Don't worry - medicals for mortgages are dead scarey, but soon you'll be in your own home sweet home

Thanks for that; funnily enough its not the severity of the condition its just how long it might take to actually figure out whats up and the insurer to make up their mind. especially as I am away for two week from tomorrow

I'm in a similar boat - I'm on pins waiting to hear if Hibernian will require a GPs letter for my medical history (and therefore add time to the approval process). We're hoping to close in 2 weeks.

I applied a couple of weeks ago but what with filling out medical questionnaires etc it's taking more time than I expected. I filled out a questionnaire for asthma (extremely mild - really only gives me a cough) and for depression (on meds) - that's the one that worries me. Any idea how they view that and whether they'll look for a GPs letter?
Thanks!

My quote for life assurance/mortgage protection is €17, is that very small? In saying that my house is only €145,000, does that make a difference?

Age and medical history are the primary factors; property value doesn't affect things as much.

My Mum survived breast cancer 30 years ago and my Dad has high blood pressure, both of which I included on the mortgage protection app I sent off today. Does anyone know whether this would mean I'll be asked to have a medical or should I be OK? I have never had any health problems and am a non-smoker and not overweight.

thanks

wonko said:
Just wondering; did my medical. Sorry if this is too much info but the doc said there were traces of blood in my urine sample.

I've a similar question in about the medical for insurance but it relates to the guarantor rather than the purchaser and he's in his 60s, but my mother had exactly that experience last time she went for a term insurance medical and they were very quick, turns out there was nothing wrong. She couldn't remember exactly how long it took but she did remember that the doctor who sent her (basically on a wild goose chase) to the hospital was the same GP who recently turned up at one of the tribunals having received a fee from a developer for shall we say, "consulting work" done on a negotiation with the local health board (for whom she was working at the time) over right of way access . . . no names mentioned of course.

Back