Mortgage Protection Insurance

MandaC

How long should it normally take from receipt of forms for a payout in the case of a death when it is covered by the mortgage protection policy?

If all requirements to finalise the claim have been submitted, it should take no more than seven working days to cut a cheque.

However, just because you have sent in all requested claim forms, this doesn't mean that all requirements have been sent in. If the lender had an assignment over the policy, they will be contacted. Death certificate needs to be forwarded, as does original policy document, which may be with the lender.

Forms only gone in. Policy is assigned to lender, so assuming they should have original policy docs. Actually, that makes sense that they would have them, because searched everywhere and no sign of them - remember in my own case that the Bank insisted on holding the original policy documents - so that is probably where they are - thanks for that.
Death Certificate will not be available until next year, pending inquest - letter from Coroner available - should this be enough?

Depends on whether there are any exclusions in the policy for various medical conditions that may have caused the death.

I was in a similar situation a few years back, final death cert and copy of the coroners verdict were required before they would consider paying up.

Thanks for that. Hopfully, given the circumstances, the coroners letter will suffice. We had the broker check the paperwork, and it would appear that the exclusions in this case are within the first two years of policy - policy in place four years.

Mortgage company were initially very unhelpful with my friend - said can you not just keep paying(!!!) even though she has no income- but one girl in branch has got on side for her and turned out to be brilliant, so fair play.