Mortgage protection in France?

D

diyguyjoe

Hi all
We are just getting started on a purchase in France and we're at the stage of getting mortgage approval and the compulsory French life cover to go with it. I presume that, similar to here, it may be cheaper to go to a discount broker than take the life cover from the French bank. Getting the cover through the bank would be the easiest route for us of course as we have no idea where to start on finding a broker in France. Has anyone any experience of this?

Many thanks

Why do you think that you'll need mortgage protection life assurance for an investment property? Is it to protect the surviving spouse or other next of kin from having to foot the cost of the outstanding mortgage (e.g. and being forced to liquidate the property perhaps) if you die before the mortgage is paid off?

I'd rather not bother but it seems that French lenders will not provide a mortgage without it, even for an investment property.

Hi Diyguyjoe

Yes, life assurance is mandatory when taking out a mortgage in France. I haven't previously shopped around and so it would be interesting to hear how you get on.

Regards,
Paidi

Back