Mortgage protection and illness

House2020

Hello - desperately seeking advice!

We are in the process of selling our house and buying another. We need to extend our existing life insurance by about 100k.

My health is good, non smoker but my wife has a chronic thyroid illness since 2010 that was difficult to manage initially but now well under control following a surgery and medication for the last 2 years.

My wife filled out the forms last time and gave the material information about her chronic illness and we got mortgage protection for about 100 per month for both of us.

however upon extending the mortgage cover this time I realised that she didn’t disclose the fact that her father has type 1 diabetes (dx under age 60) and also that she was prescribed anti depressants and anti anxiety meds to help her deal with the stress of the chronic illness. SHe is off the anti-D’s for about 3 years now.

Will we be able to get mortgage protection cover for us both now?

Does it look terrible that we are now disclosing additional information that we didn’t disclose first time round? There was no malice intended just bad attention to detail.

if she is refused mortgage insurance will the bank take a policy that covers just me? I am the primary breadwinner and she is on invalidity Pension

The best thing to do is to get a quote immediately and see if you can get the cover.

If it's too expensive, the lender is allowed to waive it, but they might not want to.

It might be better to talk to a mortgage broker who is also a life broker so that they can present your case in the best possible light.

Brendan

Back