Mortgage moratorium application taking ages

dustie

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any experience of the mortgage moratorium process with AIB. I applied in my local bank branch for moratorium due to maternity leave at the start of June. They asked for payslips, salary cert etc all which was provided promptly. Then it was transferred to another person due to holidays. At the start of July I followed up for a decision and was then told a credit card statement for an outside institution was required - again provided within 3 days. I followed up again at the end of July to find it had been transferred to yet another staff member. The member eventually got back to me stating the decision was due that day from Dublin but again radio silence since. I didnt want to hassle them as I have a tracker mortgage but this is now over 2 months for what should be a fairly standard application? Any other experiences of similar delays?

Hi dustie

Unfortunately, it's not a simple process.

In the past, they would have just rescheduled your mortgage based on a phone call, but now they have to go through Central Bank procedures such as MARP.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan - that makes more sense. When I got the mortgage initially I was sold the moratorium as a special perk and told it was easily done. Makes sense that new rules would change that,

When I got the mortgage initially I was sold the moratorium as a special perk and told it was easily done. Makes sense that new rules would change that,

Hi dustie
That is different.

If you have a written contractual right to a moratorium then you should not have to justify it.

Check your contract.

If it's not in your contract, check the literature you got at the time of the mortgage.
Brendan

Back