Mortgage in UK but can't get personal loan

littleduck

Hi,
I'd appreciate your advice.
I moved to the UK 12 months ago to work. I purchased a house at the start of this month. I secured my mortgage through a broker with little difficulty. The house I knew needed a lot of work before I could move in but my broker advised me not to apply for a loan for improvements until after the sale went through in case the mortgage lender checked my credit score again.

I had looked into loans (approx £7000 over 5years)prior to the sale and on affordability everything seemed fine and as I had gotten a mortgage easily I didn't think I would have much difficulty.

Um nope.
I can't get a personal loan because I do not have 3 years credit history in the UK and as Irish addresses do not have postcodes my Irish address which I have held for 20 years cannot even be entered into the application!

As I have only just bought the house there is not enough equity in it to be able to get a secured loan from any of the normal banks.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

I still have my BoI account. Is it possible to get a loan from an Irish bank when you are no longer living in Ireland?
Any other suggestions? (The builders need paying in 2.5weeks)

Cheers and near tears,
littleduck