Mortgage for over 60s

Mousey27

This is an usual query, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I am 38, married, and caught in the loop of paying extremely high rent, and so despite our joint incomes, its taking forever to save a deposit for a mortgage. We are getting along in age, (me 38 husband 40) but yet feel we cannot start a family right now as it would both stunt our savings even further and possibly limit our borrowing power if we have dependents. We do not qualify for the help to buy scheme as many moons ago I owned a property with an ex partner.
My parents are anxious to help as we are going nowhere fast and are very insecure in terms of renting. They are both retired, with good public servant pensions. They are property rich but do not have cash to hand to "gift" us towards a deposit. They own 2 properties, mortgage free. They currently spread their time between these 2 properties. My parents do not live in the same county as us, so moving home to save is not an option. However, they are wondering if there is a possibility a bank would allow them to purchase another property, using one of their mortgage free properties as collateral? They would then rent the property to me, so at least we have security in terms of where we live, and the ideal scenario is that we would continue to save until we have the deposit, and then purchase the property from them.

Does this sound mad? At this stage we are just trying to find a solution. Technically the big issue is myself and my husband need a 20% mortgage deposit. This would mean savings of over 50k ... try saving that when paying €1400 + per month on rent - it just seems endless, and as stated above, if we want to start a family our savings will progress even slower.

A few possibilities to explore.

They are unlikely to get a mortgage from an Irish or foreign bank secured on a property in Ireland.

Depending on the lending practices in their own country, they might be able to remortgage one of their existing properties and use the cash to buy a property in Ireland or to give you a gift of the deposit.

Have you applied for a mortgage yourselves? What is the price of the house you want to buy and how much have you for a deposit?
Banks can make exceptions to the 20% deposit rule.

Brendan

Depending on the lending practices in their own country,
I was going to offer similar advice, but then I saw it was a different 'county'. Re-reading, I think the parents are also in Ireland?

It's a tricky situation as parents don't own a BTL, but 2 homes they use. So there's no rental income to fund an equity release. It's one to get a broker to look at I think. It needs to be carefully thought through.

What the OP didn't mention in this post was that they've been through a personal insolvency, so that might create an extra hurdle in getting an exemption to 20% deposit. The full circumstances would be factored in.

No chance in that suggestion working in Ireland or your parents getting a mortgage either as they are both retired.

I was going to offer similar advice, but then I saw it was a different 'county'.

Well spotted.

What the OP didn't mention in this post was that they've been through a personal insolvency

Well spotted again

Surely if I was discharged as such in 2016 and have paperwork to prove that, the timer should run from then and my credit report should clear by 2021?

Mousey

The suggestions you get here will be wasted unless you provide all relevant information.

Your income, your husband's income.
Your savings.
Any other loans
The price of the house.

Your current credit record - did you resolve the problem noted above?

Another option.

Could your parents gift you one of their properties?

You might be able to raise a mortgage on that from one of the non-bank lenders.

Brendan

Another option.

Could your parents gift you one of their properties?

You might be able to raise a mortgage on that from one of the non-bank lenders.

Brendan
Yes Brendan, it would be a possibility for them to gift me a property. I must look into this option. I would still very much love to get a mortgage ourselves though. We now have a 10% deposit - not sure if I would qualify for an exemption on the 20% especially as I completed an insolvency arrangement in 2016...this will still be visible on my credit record until late next year. I did however manage to get it corrected, it now clearly shows the insolvency finished in 2016...whereas up to quite recently the bank was still reporting as missed payments!

Back