Mortgage extended 15 years ago without our knowledge

ymboyce

We took our mortgage in 2000 (20 year mortgage) when we purchased our home and expecting to be paid off this year 2020, but still have a 40,000 balance on the mortgage. The mortgage was originally taken out with National Irish Bank, then transferred to Danske Bank and now with Pepper Asset, we are on a tracker mortgage. I contacted Pepper and they sent me a mortgage note from 2005 which I have no idea why this happened as we didn't take equity out of the mortgage and don't know why the loan would have been rewritten in 2005. We took out a separate loan for 30,000 in 2006 which is separate from this. I have contacted Pepper 4 times now looking for the original mortgage note from 2000 and they continue to send me the mortgage note from 2005. This 20 year mortgage has now turned into a 25 year mortgage adding years of interest to our mortgage and a lot more in interest payments to the Bank.

I contacted Pepper and they sent me a mortgage note from 2005 which I have no idea why this happened as we didn't take equity out of the mortgage and don't know why the loan would have been rewritten in 2005.

What did the note say?
Who was it from?
Who was it to?

Did you not get a statement every year showing all the details of payment, balance left etc. Even 12 months ago, did you not see there was more left than you could pay off in 12 months?

Is it possible that:

a) you actually took out a 25-year mortgage in 2000?
b) you actually took out a 20-year mortgage in 2005?