Mortgage broker for avant/finance Ireland/ Haven

dubdub123

Hi,
I am planning to sell my family home and move house, resulting in higher loan.
I've contacted each of the main lenders as below (just waiting to hear back from BoI only).
AIB/EBS/ICS/KBC/Permanent TSB/Ulster Bank along with my Credit Union.

For the remaining 3 lenders that I'm aware of Avant, Finance Ireland, Haven their sites indicate that it must be via a broker.

I've cross referenced and have the list as below that deal with all three lenders.. Can anyone recommend one of these? I presume these are working on commission on no charges up front to me? Also anything to be aware of regarding these particular lenders in a positive or negative way?

All advice appreciated . Thank you !

All Financials
63 St Assam's Park, Raheny, Dublin 5, D05 RP89
(01) 851 3090
allfinancials.ie

DSOB Financial Services
148 Phibsborough Road,
Dublin 7, D07 CX7P
(01) 811 7494

Dowling Financial
19-21 Fairview,
Dublin 3, D03 K4H0
(01) 853 4102
dowlingfinancial.ie

Finance One
Clifton Mews, Fitzwilliam St Lower, Dublin 2, D02 RH39
(01) 647 1200
financeone.ie

Finance Solutions
6 Lower Main St, Lucan,
Co. Dublin, K78 W0X2
(01) 610 8884
financesolutions.ie

First Rate Financial Planning
37A Ongar Village,
Dublin 15, D15 H766
(01) 861 3044
firstrate.ie

Frank Lenny Financial
Mortgage House, 66 South William St, Dublin 2,
D02 FT51
(01) 670 3655
franklenny.com

Howth Financial Services
1 St Marys Road, Howth,
Co Dublin, D13 Y2E5
(01) 839 6770
howthfinancial.ie

Irish Mortgage Brokers
619 North Circular Road,
Dublin 1, D01 FT67
(01) 679 0990
mortgagebrokers.ie

Irish Mortgage Corporation
118 Baggot St Lower,
Dublin 2, D02 AW89
(01) 669 1000
irishmortgage.com

MMPI
101 Morehampton Road,
Dublin 4, D04 T0C2
(01) 668 8322
mmpi.ie

Mortgageline
120 Drumcondra Road Upper, Dublin 9, D09 T6P7
(01) 707 9880
mortgageline.ie

Sherry Fitzgerald
3 Boyne House, Custom House Square, Lower Mayor St,
Dublin 1, D01 FK37
(01) 643 1402
sherryfitz.ie

Vision Financial Solutions
95 Ranelagh Village,
Ranelagh, Dublin 6,
D06 V1W5
(01) 532 0082
visionfinancial.ie

Also anything to be aware of regarding these particular lenders in a positive or negative way?
Haven is a bit of a funny one. It's history is it was originally set up as a broker channel for EBS before the crash. Then AIB kept it when they merged, so it gives them a 3rd brand to operate as.
The rates offered for Haven over past few years are very close to those for AIB, but there tends to be a delay in passing on rate reductions. The latest AIB rate cut didn't make its way to Haven, as they decided to instead offer cashback to high value mortgages.
You end up with the situation where you have AIB interest rates, but without a guarantee they'll track AIB, and effectively EBS terms and conditions.

I've no experience with the others.

Re brokers, I'm not sure how much effort a broker will put into your case when you've applied directly to all the other lenders. If you draw down a mortgage with one of them, broker won't get any commission.

OK that's good info to have. At the moment I've contacted each of the lenders and had a phone discussion, pending return of documentation (bank info, salary cert etc).
Wondering if it may make more sense to go through a broker at this point then for all applications?

Do you have a preferred lender in mind, or is there a reason you're applying to them all?

We looked into Finance Ireland (through a broker) and honestly wasn't impressed with the whole thing. The broker seemed to take forever to get everything ready and ended up asking for the same things numerous times and could never seem to answer any questions. Also finance Ireland were the only company the broker dealt with which I found strange.

Then the wait time is a further 3 weeks at the underwriters. We ultimately decided to apply with our own bank and are waiting to see what happens there but it seems alot quicker than the experience we had with the broker.

Of course this was just our experience and it may be different for you but thought was worth a mention!

Do you have a preferred lender in mind, or is there a reason you're applying to them all?

I've chatted to a number of lenders as I want to get an idea of what I could borrow from each as it can differ quite a lot eg based on phone calls Ulster Bank willing to lend only 109K whereas AIB are at above 200K . I want to get clear picture across the lenders so I can weigh up the loan amount, interest and term (as due to my age that is a consideration) . I will probably submit paperwork for only 2 or 3 if I go directly to them myself.
Any thoughts on that ? Do you recommend maybe selecting just 1 or 2 ? thanks

We looked into Finance Ireland (through a broker) and honestly wasn't impressed with the whole thing. The broker seemed to take forever to get everything ready and ended up asking for the same things numerous times and could never seem to answer any questions. Also finance Ireland were the only company the broker dealt with which I found strange.

Then the wait time is a further 3 weeks at the underwriters. We ultimately decided to apply with our own bank and are waiting to see what happens there but it seems alot quicker than the experience we had with the broker.

Of course this was just our experience and it may be different for you but thought was worth a mention!

That's the thing - I'd imagine there's a huge difference across brokers. Some are decent and deal with a number of lenders and others may not deal with as many or just not be pushing as much as you can yourself.
I'm interested in knowing if I would get approval in principle for Avant at the fixed rates are really good there (1.95) . With my current mortgage with < 60% LTV, I'm on 3 % with KBC.

Good luck with the application - I've heard lenders are pretty busy at the minute

Any feedback regarding if there's a broker you would recommend out of that list I provided?
Would it make sense for me to hold off with my AIB application (that's my main one) and let broker handle?
Particularly interested in Avant as rates are so competitive..
Appreciate any further feedback

Bumping this thread (perhaps I should be starting a fresh?)

I am looking to apply for a mortgage with Avant and sent two generic call back requests to brokers they had listed on the Avant website. The two I tried for no particular reason were Which Mortgages and Sherry Fitzgerald.

It took 5 days to receive a call from Sherry Fitzgerald (actually came from the Galway office) and a further 3 or 4 days before Which Mortgages got in touch.

When I applied for my first mortgage I went direct rather than via a broker and it was a reasonably ok experience. I have had no prior experience with a broker before now.

Broker 1.

I sent all (I thought) of my docs to the Sherry Fitzgerald broker and having not received a reply after a week I sent a follow up email. The next day the lady replied to advise she hoped to review my documents over the next day or two..

The next day she emailed looking for 3 months of payslips for my wife. My wife gets paid weekly and the Avant Mortgage checklist clearly states the when being paid weekly, 6 payslips in total are required. I pointed this out to the broker and reminded her that we were solely interested in the Avant mortgage offering. She hummed and hawed and said she still needed 3 months to proceed. It's not really an issue but I was still miffed a bit, probably more because the service wasn't exactly prompt.

Broker 2.

Went through all my personal details, loans, salary etc. with the Which Mortgages broker on the phone. The usual questions. About 10 minutes in he asked had I done any research myself yet and if I had any preferences regarding lender. I said Avant to which he replied that they are not working with Avant, despite being listed as a broker on the Avant website..

Long story (rant) short, has anyone availed of an Avant Mortgage that can recommend a broker?

The next day she emailed looking for 3 months of payslips for my wife. My wife gets paid weekly and the Avant Mortgage checklist clearly states the when being paid weekly, 6 payslips in total are required.
It's pretty standard that brokers have a pack they prepare for all lenders they deal with. The 3 months payslips is one that always causes issues, as not all lenders require it. A broker could still say they need it to meet all the CPC requirements around suitability, etc.

I said Avant to which he replied that they are not working with Avant, despite being listed as a broker on the Avant website.
Are you sure that they're listed?

You should just go through 1 broker. If you use 2, only the first one that arrives with Avant will actually get processed, or otherwise it'll be held up until they sort out which broker gets the commission.

:oops: <-- this would be a facepalm if one was available. Which Mortgages are not listed on the website! Where did I get that from.

My intention was to go with one broker, I only sent two queries to see who would be back first.

I work in financial services myself and would be lambasted if I did not respond to a prospective customer almost immediately. But this is a bit OTT I suppose, especially in the current environment.

I guess I would prefer to go direct to Avant rather than have a middle man but it's not possible.

I need to relax :D

I guess I would prefer to go direct to Avant rather than have a middle man but it's not possible.

We spoke to an Avant approved broker not so long ago who was recommending KBC over Avant unless the LTV was below 60%. He said most people open a KBC current account to avail of the 0.2% rate discount and the €1,500 towards legal fees made them better value, with the bonus that once the fixed rate term ends, you roll on to the new business rate.

Yes your right, unless you are below 60% KBC and maybe Ulster are pretty much the same when you include the cash. Not huge but I think UB pay for the valuation too

There's a strong chance I'd end up below the 60% (still a lot of unknowns as my own house is not on the market.. ) but assuming I can get 200K+ mortgage I'd be good.

Can anyone recommend a broker to use please? I have not submitted ANY paperwork just phone conversations but keen to move this forward and if I could get a reputable broker that would be really great.

If anyone has actually gone through the Avant process and can give some input I'd really appreciate that also. Thanks

Hi Feria50,

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but having read the thread, I’m not sure I’d inflict you on a broker by recommending them! The key thing to remember is that you don’t cover the cost of the broker; the bank does. So you have someone who understands the landscape working on your behalf for free. It saves time and hassle at no cost. I used Dave Curry of IMC, now with MMPI and found him excellent.

Gordon

Last edited:
Back