Mortgage approval for site and build withdrawn at build stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wibble

I'd appreciate some knowledgeable opinion on a Contract issue I'm having with BOI at present.

I took out a Mortgage in 2006 to fund the purchase of a site and subsequent home build (it was actually an Equity Release on our family home).
We explained clearly to BOI what we were doing, and in fact the Mortgage Documentation (Special Conditions part) references the fact that the loan is to purchase a site AND build.

We went ahead and purchased the site on strength of this. The first part of the mortgage was drawn down for this purpose.

An Architect was hired, and he designed the house and applied for Planning Permission. After some to-ing and fro-ing the Planning Permission was granted. The whole process took almost exactly one year, about normal for the project at that time I'm told.

We then contacted BOI to ask how to commence drawdown of building funds. They replied that they would not be giving us the money, and that we should sell our family home to raise build funds. Since this would leave us with no home (and a baby was on the way) we were not too pleased about this option. But after a few months we realised it was our only way out of a growingly nasty situation.

We sold the house 6 months later.
Subsequent to that my employer offerred me Voluntary Severance, and I took it. We now live and work outside Ireland.

The site remains undeveloped, and a big drag on our finances.

I asked BOI numerous times to explain the refusal to give us the build funds we had been approved for, but they simply didn't answer the question. I had a good job, good salary, no other debts (we had recently cleared the mortgage on the family home) and never in any kind of financial trouble with any institution or individual.

Finally I wrote to them recently telling them I would default on the Mortgage if I don't get an answer.

They have now finally begun to communicate.
They started out with a bare-faced lie, saying they explained their case for refusal in 2009. They did not. Categorically!

They then went on to make an interpretation of the Mortgage Documentation which I find incredible, and another lie.

They say that under Clause 9(c) (Drawdown) in the General Conditions, there is a time limit of 6 months for drawdown!
Anyone familiar with the Planning Process in Ireland could tell you there is absolutely no way a site could be bought, house designed, Planning obtained, and build work ready to commence - in 6 months!

So either the bank was ignorant of the realities of the Planning/Build process, or they were ignoring the reality in giving the Mortgage.

But, there's more!
The next sub section (d) to Clause 9 refers to Staged Drawdown of building funds, and the terms of such advances. It seems to me that this clause covers our situation - allowing for the extended drawdown in a house-build project. There is no mention of a time limit here - and lets face it, even if you could get through the design and Planning Process in 6 months, how could you actually complete the BUILD as well? In 6 months? Rubbish!

It seems to me that Clause 9 (c) is there to protect the bank from a borrower arranging the Loan but then dragging their heels indefinitely. Obviously it would make no sense for a bank to give approval, then hear nothing for (say) 5 years, only to have the borrower come looking for the money? I can accept that. But this wasn't the case here.
We did not drag anything out. We went about the Planning application in a timely manner. And even if we had gotten it in 2 months (an impossibility) - there'd have been no hope of building a house in the remaining 4 months!

They basically ruined our lives in Ireland by what they did (refusing to loan the agreed funds), suckered us into buying the site then left us high and dry. They forced us into selling our home, which made the subsequent decision to emigrate an easier option. Thanks to BOI we ended up being driven out of our home and our country.

We continue to pay a debt on a site we will probably never build on, and of course its well into neg equity now too, so we can't sell it and walk away - although many have advised us to.
Between Stamp Duty, Architects/Solicitors Fees and Interest - we've spent over 120K on it already.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear your opinions on this case. Am I right in thinking BOI are trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities to us with their interpretation? What kind of solutions am I entitled to chase?
What would you do in the same situation?

Hi Wibble

I don't know about the technical issues of site and build mortgages, but I find this bit interesting.

We sold the house 6 months later.
This would appear to be around late 2007?

If so, you sold your house not too long after the top of the market. You would be in a far worse position now if BoI had not forced you to sell.

In fact, it probably allowed you to take redundancy and go abroad.

Brendan

Exactly Brendan, did the OP pay anything extra off the site mortgage with the full proceeds of the family home?

They have stated they had already cleared the mortgage before sale so they sold at peak of market, had no mortgage to pay off on the family home and it would seem to me, have been in an ideal position to pay off a significant chunk of money off the site cost.

I think the OP had a lucky escape.

Brendan, I think your tongue is lodged firmly in your cheek.

The purchase of the site was in late 2006.
That was at the top of the market alright - you know where it is now.

The sale of the house took place 18 months later in mid 2008, and the market was already crashing. We took a hit of about 30% from what it would have made at top of market.

Yes if we'd held on the value would be lower now - but so what? You appear to be missing the point. We had no intention to ever sell our home!
We were forced into it by being left high and dry by BOI. Your argument is rather like that of a hoodlum attacking you on the street and telling you the beating is for your own good afterward!

I don't feel grateful!

Just to give you the alternative scenario - if we had kept our home (and never bought the site) we could have rented the house out when I took VS. As I said, it was mortgage free.
We would then have retained our cherished home in Ireland, a place to return to some day - and we'd have had an income from it meantime.

Instead we have an empty and uninhabitable piece of ground, no income, and indeed a large debt hanging over us. There's nothing to go back to.

Can we be serious now?

Exactly Brendan, did the OP pay anything extra off the site mortgage with the full proceeds of the family home?
Of course! BOI took a chunk of the proceeds to clear the money borrowed to buy the site! It was an equity release so why wouldn't they.

They have stated they had already cleared the mortgage before sale so they sold at peak of market, had no mortgage to pay off on the family home and it would seem to me, have been in an ideal position to pay off a significant chunk of money off the site cost.
This has got nothing to do with the original question. You seem to be looking at this from a perspective of what would suit YOU in the same predicament.
Your personal financial circumstances are totally different from mine, I'm sure, so it may have suited you - but it didn't suit me to be forced to sell my home.

I think the OP had a lucky escape.
Who wanted to escape?
QED.

Hi Wibble

I am making a very serious point here. It strikes me that the bank has inadvertently done you a huge favour.

We would then have retained our cherished home in Ireland, a place to return to some day - and we'd have had an income from it meantime.

If you give the figures for the mortgages, the sales price etc, I can show you how much better off you would be.

You would have your cherished home in Ireland ok. But you would have a mortgage well in excess of that. You would have rental income, but you would also have mortgage repayments to make.

If you had gone ahead with the build and retained your own home, you would now be in massive negative equity. Thanks to the bank's misbehaviour, you now have a site with a mortgage. Probably some negative equity, but a lot less than you would have otherwise.

And you could now build on the site for around 30% less than the cost of building in 2008.

Brendan

You would have your cherished home in Ireland ok. But you would have a mortgage well in excess of that.
I had no Mortgage on the house Brendan - remember? I cleared it three years before the site came on the market.
You would have rental income, but you would also have mortgage repayments to make.
Sorry Brendan, we're still at cross purposes here. I had NO mortgage on the house!

If you had gone ahead with the build and retained your own home, you would now be in massive negative equity.
But I am still in massive negative equity! More so, because an empty site has less market value these days than a nice house with a lovely view.

Thanks to the bank's misbehaviour, you now have a site with a mortgage. Probably some negative equity, but a lot less than you would have otherwise.

Well I'm glad you finally hit the nail on the head!
Rather than analysing how well off I am - could we develop on that theme a little more? How did the bank misbehave?

And you could now build on the site for around 30% less than the cost of building in 2008.
Last time I asked a builder to give an estimate on the project the prices had not fallen anything like 30%. Maybe 10%. When I asked him why I was told 'yeah labour is cheaper, but raw materials and VAT have risen'.
Besides that - having given the State a massive chunk of change in Stamp Duty the CoCo now want another massive chunk of change for the pleasure of letting me build on my own site. I'm not inclined to play that game any more.

They say that under Clause 9(c) (Drawdown) in the General Conditions, there is a time limit of 6 months for drawdown!

Between Stamp Duty, Architects/Solicitors Fees and Interest - we've spent over 120K on it already.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear your opinions on this case. What kind of solutions am I entitled to chase? What would you do in the same situation?

You have a very strange way of interpreting what happened.

Clause 9c is clear as a bell. I would think it's a very common clause, right until the day of drawdown no customer has a guarantee to get a mortgage.

And as to what I would do question, be very gratefull that the bank made you sell your home before you built, be grateful that you actually sold your home, at only 30% drop from peak, be glad you have moved to a new country, be glad you have a job,stop focusing your anger at the bank, it is misplaced and can have a long term detrimental affect on your well being.

Do you know how difficult it is to manage property in Ireland from abroad. If the bank had allowed you to proceed as initially planned you might have been in an awful mess.

How did you manage to spend 120K already and still owe more. What was the purchase price for the site, what was the stamp duty etc? How after selling a property did you not repay the full mortgage, the equity release mortgage that was used to purchase the site? You mentioned that this mortgage is a drain on your finances, how did the bank allow you to take some of the sale proceeds while leaving the loan in place.

Clause 9c is clear as a bell.
So you are saying BOI approved a Mortgage under terms they knew were impossible to comply with? Clear as a bell. Fair enough!

I would think it's a very common clause, right until the day of drawdown no customer has a guarantee to get a mortgage.
Its not only a common clause - its a Standard Clause. In which case they were issuing impossible terms all the time.

.....be very gratefull that the bank made you sell your home before you built,
But I didn't build because they wouldn't lend the money to build! Duh? The house sale wasn't sufficient to cover the build cost!

be grateful that you actually sold your home, at only 30% drop from peak, be glad you have moved to a new country, be glad you have a job,stop focusing your anger at the bank, it is misplaced and can have a long term detrimental affect on your well being.
Sounds like you're the one who's angry - at being stuck in Ireland!

Do you know how difficult it is to manage property in Ireland from abroad. If the bank had allowed you to proceed as initially planned you might have been in an awful mess.
If the bank had kept to its CONTRACT I would have happily stayed in Ireland and finished the project. My job still exists.
As to managing a property from abroad - how about managing a derelict site, with a big mortgage, no income, and constant hassle to stop trespassers/squatters/graffiti artists and an avaricious CoCo who regularly moot plans to seize derelict sites?

How did you manage to spend 120K already and still owe more.
Stamp Duty, Architects Fees, Solicitors Fees, Surveys, Insurance, Loan Interest - have you ever bought a site and planned a house?

What was the purchase price for the site, what was the stamp duty etc?
Irrelevant.
How after selling a property did you not repay the full mortgage, the equity release mortgage that was used to purchase the site?
Read the story. Its all there in B&W.
You mentioned that this mortgage is a drain on your finances, how did the bank allow you to take some of the sale proceeds while leaving the loan in place.
Because I part financed the purchase with my own money.
They were to provide funds to build. They welched.

So far the answers I'm getting here seem to shout at the dire desperation people in Ireland must be feeling about living there.
God, it must be bad. Ye all seem desperate to escape, like lucky old me.

Wibble

Can you give the numbers here. It seems clear to me that you had a very lucky escape. If you provide the numbers, I will quantify it for you.

2003 - Happy days. Owned your house outright. No mortgage.

2006 - purchased a site with a mortgage secured on your home.

2008 - sold the home and repaid the mortgage.

I must be missing something here. You should now own a site and be mortgage free again?

But the summary point is that you are much better off now because you sold your house in 2008.

Brendan

Sigh.
No Brendan.
Once more with feeling.....
I was forced to sell the mortgage free house - to raise the build funds (which BOI had welched on) - but they then took part of the sale proceeds to clear the equity release mortgage loaned to part finance the site purchase - leaving me with the balance of the site mortgage outstanding, and insufficient funds to build.

They structured the original site purchase as part equity release, part mortgage on the site. Two loans.

Sigh myself. Really Wibble it's like dragging teeth. So you had two mortgages. One you paid off. Why didn't you pay off the mortgage on the site with the proceeds of the sale?

You came on here for advice and more than once you've been asked questions that you do not reply to, instead you attack us. How do you expect to get advice if you don't give full details and don't answer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back