Mortgage App - Declare all savings accounts?

Blizzard

I'm about to start down the process of applying for a mortgage and I'm getting all my documentation in order based on the various checklists (P60s, statements etc etc)

I have my current account and a savings account that is specifically to fund the deposit (and other costs) for the house.
Additionally I have a 2nd savings account as a future rainy day fund that I have no intention of using as part of my house buying. It's a deposit account that I have not lodged anything into in the last 12 months as I've been busy saving into my deposit account and it's at a level that is comfortable should I ever need it.

Do I need to declare this bank account as part of my mortgage application, or do I only need to declare what I feel is relevant to the application? Will the bank find it and then query why I have not declared it, and if so will this have a negative impact on my application?

They're just looking for an overall picture of your financial health. The more savings you can show, the more likely they are to give you a mortgage.

I suppose I was worried I would feel pressured into adding more money to the deposit over the 10% when at the moment I don't need to do that. And I don't want to wrap all my cash up into the property and have nothing left over for the rainy day situation

I suppose I was worried I would feel pressured into adding more money to the deposit over the 10% when at the moment I don't need to do that. And I don't want to wrap all my cash up into the property and have nothing left over for the rainy day situation

You'll be under no pressure whatsoever to put in more than the 10%. It will be completely your decision.
You'd be mad not to declare the extra savings as it will only help your application.

Back