Mortgage and lack of Fire Safety Certificate

KatieBeb

I'm buying an apartment and the seller is not in possession of a copy of the Fire Safety Certificate.
My solicitor says that not having a fire safety certificate would be a fatal issue for the lender.
Will banks not give me my mortgage if the seller can't provide a cert? I'm mortgage approved with AIB for this particular property.

Forget about this apartment and move on.

There are lots of unsellable apartments because they are a fire risk.

It's not just a bit of awkward paperwork. It's a real issue.

Brendan

When was the apartment built?

Fire Safety Certificates were only introduced for apartments constructed from 1992 onwards.
An apartment complex built before then won't have one and you won't be able to get one retrospectively (afaik) - unless modifications are being made that would then bring the apartment into the scope of the regs.

You may still be able to get a mortgage on the property but the problem is getting a binding answer from AIB as to its necessity.
I was looking at an apartment, pre-1992, didn't have a safety certificate. EBS indicated the lack of a fire safety certificate would not be a red flag but that was only during initial conversations and I didn't proceed further with the property for other reasons.
If you are buying the property with a view to trading up, as this could complicate later sales, I would advise against it.

If the apartment was built post 1992 the it is subject to the regulations and if it doesn't have one it's a red flag.

If you are buying with a view to renting, you should appraise yourself of the standards below such as common area requirements for alarms and emergency lighting to check if the complex complies with them.