Mortality and Infection rates in Ireland versus other European countries

A pity that the absence of data means that we can't be compared with other countries/ regions. As an aside, I wonder about the reliability of rip.ie, because of the tendency to put in the same person a number of times in rip.ie if they lived in different counties during their lives. If they're comparing this year with last year, what they've done is probably ok, since there was the same tendency last year, not if they're comparing with other data sources.

A pity that the absence of data means that we can't be compared with other countries/ regions. As an aside, I wonder about the reliability of rip.ie, because of the tendency to put in the same person a number of times in rip.ie if they lived in different counties during their lives. If they're comparing this year with last year, what they've done is probably ok, since there was the same tendency last year, not if they're comparing with other data sources.

Yes RIP.IE isn't a perfect source.
But I assume some sort of de-duing was done on the data set though, checking for the same name and date of death with different counties.

Also, I see one of the comparison factors on your linked article was rate of urbanisation.
Ireland could be compared with Scotland but comparing us with England seems unreliable.

I just skimmed the article but I'd be curious if the % difference between excess mortality deaths and coronavirus deaths (i.e. positive test) was broadly similar across countries. Then for the purposes of comparison we could use the official positive test deaths figure.

A pity that the absence of data means that we can't be compared with other countries/ regions.
Yes sure we have a CSO surely they should be doing statistics on deaths in Ireland since its a very important topic and we are all going to die. They seem to spend alot of time doing statistics and surveys on trivial matters.

The rate of infection has been increasing since the end of July but so has the rate of testing.
The rolling by-weekly fatality rate has been flat since June. Have anyone got any specific information on this and the expected lag between infection rates and deaths?

Back