More Good News - Irish Amateur Boxers, well done again lads.

mathepac

Someone asked for good news in another thread. I felt this deserved its own thread.

From a team of nine male amateur boxers, it now appears that Ireland is guaranteed 5 medals, all of them at least bronze, in advance of the semi-finals.

Two disasters from an Irish boxing point of view - John-Joe Nevin was beaten by an English young lad and Katie Taylor, twice World Champion, is being forced into the qualifiers for the London Olympics. This is a travesty as there isn't a boxer in the world (or many female footballers) pound for pound, male or female, who is fit to lace her boots.

[broken link removed]

To put the boxers' achievement in perspective, Russia, who are rated second behind Cuba in world amateur boxing tables, are so far guaranteed THREE medals, all bronze at a minimum.

Ireland's greatest athlete ever - http://www.iaba.ie/

Fair play to the IABA for putting Katie on their home-page, we should be building stadia in her honour and naming towns after her.

big +1

Our boxers have continuously punched above their weight and delivered over the years. They never really get the TV coverage or recognition of other sports such as athletics and football codes. Amateur boxing is probably one of the purest sports remaining.

Great performance.

Our boxers have continuously punched above their weight...

Nice to see this expression being used about boxers for a change. Normally it's about our musicians punching above their weight, our writers, poets, artists etc. Great to see even our boxers can do it too!

Well done to the boxers. Just goes to show what can be done with little finance, hard work & determination (IRFU take note)

Congratulations to Paddy Barnes and Darren O'Neill who have made it through to Saturday's finals in the European Amateur Boxing Championships.

O'Neill in particular made it look easy with a 6-0 win; his opponent hardly laid a glove on him. We now have a haul of five medals, three bronze, and 2 either gold or silver.

Well done to the lads who won bronze medals in their semi-finals :- Egan (lost 9-11), Donovan (lost 2-8), McCullough (lost 3-10) and to the team as a whole.

great they did well
just a pity we cannot be good at some sport that's a bit more glamorous

... just a pity we cannot be good at some sport that's a bit more glamorous
Like what for instance - [broken link removed]? ? [broken link removed]? [broken link removed] [broken link removed]

Paddy Barnes wins gold medal with a clear 4-1 victory over the well-rated Elvin Mamishzade from Azerbaijan.

Darren O'Neill wins a silver medal, losing the final 7-15 to an extremely powerful and accomplished Artem Chebotarev.

Ireland 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze which I thinks puts us 3rd in the medals table; adjusting for population size and number of boxers would place us 2nd or 3rd in world amateur boxing terms.

Absolutely Brilliant achievement by all involved, just a pity we had to listen to the awful commentary from the awful Marty Morrissey - But the future of Irish boxing is certainly looking very good

Would anyone have even mentioned our boxers if they hadn't won any medals? I doubt it! We are a great nation for jumping on any passing bandwagon.

The fact that they performed well lead me to start the thread because as I stated in the starter post "Someone asked for good news in another thread. I felt this deserved its own thread."

If you're unhappy about that or would prefer to let off steam about some issue bugging you, feel free to do so in the appropriate place, but also feel free to hop off this particular bandwagon and start your own misery-guts thread if that's what you wish; your post there might be on-topic and less likely to be interpreted as trolling.

a lot of the credit for Irish boxing IMHO goes back to Nicholas Cruz the Cuban trainer of Irish boxers in the 1990's. He really did a great job.

Our boxers have continuously punched above their weight and delivered over the years

No wonder they have delivered when all other boxers have to punch in their own weight class