More eflow woes - don't pay if after 8pm next day!!

LouthLass

I have just got off the phone to Eflow and whilst slightly annoyed, I am still scratching my head as to the absurdity of it all. I went through the toll on Thursday and totally forgot all about it until Saturday so went straight down and paid at local shop on Saturday. Today, the penalty notice came, fair enough, I was late paying.

So, got on the phone with my laser card to pay the extra €6 penalty charge. However, this is where it gets ridiculous, it turns out that I had to pay an extra €2.10 for the following reason:

Outward journey - €5.10 Penalty due - €3 Total €8.10 for one journey
Return journey - €5.10 Penalty due - €3 Total €8.10 for return journey

Fare paid on Saturday was €10.20 - computer system allocated the fee paid against the first journey only. The credit due of €2.10 could not be transfered to the second journey as 'the computer says no!'. So, in order to avoid any further penalties being issued against the second journey I had to pay a total of €8.10 instead of the €6 whilst the credit of €2.10 would have to be used against any further journeys taken in the future!

To be fair to the chap I was speaking to, even he found the system very confusing and he apologised but explained there was nothing he could do. He said I could apply for a refund which would mean being transferred to a different department and filling out forms and for the sake of my phone bill I kindly declined.

Moral of the story - if you forget to pay by 8pm the next day - don't bother paying until you get the penalty notice!

Is it just me or this happened to anyone else?

Anyway, feel better now having had a bit of a moan about it, be interesting to get other people's experiences of this.

Kind regards

LL

Thanks for that, I went through two weeks ago and completely forgot to pay. I decided to wait for the penalty notice and go from there, it still hasn't arrived.

All the info I read was a bit ambigious, it said if you pay within 14 days you pay a €3 penalty but it doesn't say if you can do that at the shop so 14 days from the date of travel, or 14 days from the date of the penalty notice.

Will let you know what lands in the post. I did the journey again on Saturday but a friend kindly popped to the shop while I was travelling and paid it for me lest I forget again!

Where in the bye law does it say you have to pay by 8pm the following evening. Just pay the toll for the crossing and do not pay the "punishment fine" I have done this on a few occasions. I once forgot to pay the toll for a full week, I paid it when it dawned on me. I got the late notice and fine and phoned them up, They waived the fine. I think as long as you pay the toll then that should be the end of it.

As I said, I could not see anything in the bye law about paying by 8pm. If somebody else can please post.

As I said, I could not see anything in the bye law about paying by 8pm. If somebody else can please post.

very interesting! i'm always forgetting to pay by 8pm the next day and have always ended up paying €12 for a return journey. interesting how expensive the toll bridge has become since the government took over!

will try the above tactic next time though!

i use the toll bridge very infrequently. i registered my reg number for the video regonitiom. €2.50 a go then to use the bridge. you get a nice email statement telling you your a/c info each month and it is automatically taken off your credit card. no late payment worries. has worked fine so far. even added Mrs wife car to my a/c and all is fine.

Has anybody registered and subsequently sold their car?
Do they still bill your card or send a bill to the the new owner assuming they changed the ownership.

why not register and get a tag,/ you can get an online statement every month and I've had no issue with mine todate. Wife changed car a couple of months ago and got a new tag for it, it works on some of the other toll bridges around the country as well

Back