More: Card Skimming Devices in Connaught

New Home

A friend of mine told me that last Monday she discovered that nearly €700 had been taken out of her account... and a few days later the same thing happened to her sister! She's based in Co. Galway, and the stolen cash (in both hers and her sister's case) was withdrawn from an ATM in Rathmines. Her bank told her that if the Fraud Squad established that a crime had actually taken place her money would be refunded to her.

They also told her that her card might have been skimmed months ago and that the criminals only decided to use it now, and that, based on the investigations that had been made, Castlebar seems to be the area where the cards were copied.

Also, I've been told that a few days ago a skimming machine was found on an ATM in a shopping centre in Knocnacarra in Galway.

After hearing that, I've started checking my account twice a day!

Also, I've been told that a few days ago a skimming machine was found on an ATM in a shopping centre in Knocnacarra in Galway.

After hearing that, I've started checking my account twice a day!

This shopping centre was Joyces Supermarket in Knocknacarra, Guarda have advised people who have used the ATM in the last three days to cancel their cards.

There was a follow on statement saying that there was no need to change your card.

The whole thing was a bit of a false alarm or blown out of all proportion.

Always wise though to keep an eye on your a/c & then if any problems do arise they'll be caught quickly.