Money withdrawals while on Holidays

construct_06

hi im abroad at the moment, in Thailand. Just wondering could anyone tell me the best way to get money while abroad:

• laser with cirrus (has charges)
  • credit card withdrawls
  • credit card withdrawls (after putting money in credit card)
thanx

The third way is probably the one with lowest charges but check the specific terms & conditions/charges that apply.

Check with the bank or maybe the IFSRA CC [broken link removed] to see what charges (if any) apply to cash withdrawals (not advances) and what forex margin applies. Looks like it's 1.75% forex margin. Note that Cirrus will probably also involve such margins in addition to any transaction fees.

Just beware that money loaded onto your credit card does not enjoy the same protection as money advanced to you by the credit card company normally. Withdrawing cash with a credit card is generally an expensive option. Personally I bring a load of cash and use my credit card.

Cash withdrawals from a preloaded CC and topping up as required via online banking works for me. Obviously the usual security precautions for accessing online banking from a shared PC need to be taken.

Cash withdrawals from a preloaded CC and topping up as required via online banking works for me. Obviously the usual security precautions for accessing online banking from a shared PC need to be taken.
Am I right though in saying CC fraud where the card has preloaded cash on it is not covered to the same extent as normal CC activity?
This is very relevant

Am I right though in saying CC fraud where the card has preloaded cash on it is not covered to the same extent as normal CC activity?
I think it depends on the terms & conditions of the specific card. I could not find anything specifically about this (i.e. limiting the card issuer's liability) on mine (PTSB VISA issued years ago).

This is very relevant

MBNA are one of the main "culprits" of this particular T&C - and all their issued cards e.g. One Direct, EBS

Back