Money transfer between accounts in different banks

Grus

Hi All,

I recently opened a fixed term deposit account in Anglo Irish Bank and said I would transfer money from my AIB current account. Once I got the sort code and account number from Anglo, I went into my AIB branch and asked them to transfer money from my current account to the new Anglo account. AIB said this would not be possible and that I must get a bank draft made out to Anglo. Is it normal for different banks not to allow electronic money transfers? Thanks in advance.

You can set up a Standing Order if you want to make regular payments to another bank but one off's are not possible unless you have a pre-printed lodgement docket for the a/c you want to lodge to. I can only speak for BOI where same day electronic money transfers can be done but only for amounts over €25k & they're also expensive (approx €25) so your easiest option is the draft as recommended.

Surely if you can do a standing order, you can do one off payments???? Or why not set up a standing order and cancel it after the first payment of the lum sum. Sounds silly to me

I do transfers between different accounts with different institutions using different online banking systems and have never had a problem (other than usually having to call telephone banking to get them to set up the external account first). I have never used AIB though.

Thanks for the views. I'm getting online banking shortly (should of done it years ago!) so hopefully it will make things easier in the future.

I've made one off payments on-line from AIB to bank accounts in other banks using sort code/account number/payee name. Perhaps by not possible they meant they couldn't be bothered.

Just to clarify. I meant you cannot walk into a bank branch & do these transfers, which is what the OP was asking. Online is a totally different matter.

I've been trying to get a simple way to transfer varying amounts (so stanidng order won't work) from mum's BOI account to sibling's AIB account. Have been told it can only be done if I have the pre printed lodgment slip for the AIB account. I got this today and the transfer went through ok.

for a showcase like this you can try to find the bank code (clearing code) for every bank on