Money in GAA tuck shop?

Hanks09

Hi folks,

Would it be worth my while approaching the local GAA club and asking for permission to sell items such as drinks, chocolate bars and crisps during matches. Can someone give me an idea on the profit to be made on each of these items and any other issues i may need to consider?

Cheers.

id say a lot of matches are sewn up already, you know the ladies with the trollies.It wouldnt be really be worth your while id think with such small profit margins.

I think you will find that any business idea run by or within the confines of the GAA is already sewn up.

I think you will find that any business idea run by or within the confines of the GAA is already sewn up.

I know for a fact that there is no such service at our local club. There would be approx 200-300 hundred people at the home league matches (maybe 10 games per season) and 600-800 hundred at championship matches (maybe 1-2 games per season). There would also be numerous underage games taking place on a weekly basis aswell. I'm not expecting to make my millions out of this but surely there must be a couple of quid in it???

Well I for one wish you every success with it. Just be warned that as soon as it is seen to be working somebody will miraculously but suspiciously step in and take your place.

I'm not expecting to make my millions out of this but surely there must be a couple of quid in it???
Very easy to do a back of the envelope calculation.
League matches = 2500 people/season
Championship = 1400 people/season
Total = 3900 people/season.

You're proposing to sell drinks, crisps etc. What kind of margin are you looking to sell at?

Let's say half of all visitors buy something, and you make €1* gross profit from each sale. (I would think optimistic figures). That would be about €2000/season.

Now take off your overheads
- Time taken to buy and transport goods
- Transport costs
- Time taken to sell goods
- Shrinkage
- Compliance (do you need trader's licence etc?, costs involved in filing returns.)
- Banking time. You'll be dealing with small change.

* Go to musgraves (or other wholesaler) and find out unit cost of items you wish to sell. Remember to include VAT. Go to a local shop or cinema and see how much they sell the item for. Take one price away from the other, this will give you a good starting point.

mercman - Thanx for the good wishes.

leghorn - You've given me something to work on. What do you mean by shrinkage? €2000 would be a good enough starting point and on top of this i would have the underage games aswell which i think could be my biggest market.

Bear in mind that the GAA club would ask for a donation/rent as well

You wouldn't normally see this at GAA Club grounds ( and I don't know any club that get's 200-300 at league matches), but you would see it at county grounds. Not sure you'd make a fortune at it, but you might make a couple of quid

However this would be very common at other events, Point-to-Points spring to mind.

Any suggestions on a fair amount to pay for rent before i approach the treasurer? Our grounds would be the County's divisional grounds aswell so alot of important neutral games would bring in alot of supporters.