Money for SE Asia trip

construct_06

Just wondering how much money for each country peop;e brought when visiting the following countries:

Thailand
Cambodia
Vietnam
Bangkok

We have accomodation paid already. We will be on tours for 2 weeks and in resorts for rest of trip (another 2 weeks).

Is there a waiting list to get these currencies in banks here or is it best to get out there? Where would i get best rates? Is US dollars accepted out there? We will have credit cards with us also.

Haven't been to Cambodia but have been in Thailand (including Bangkok and Vietnam).

ATMs are readily available in the cities so don't travel with too much cash. In both Thailand and Vietnam they would prefer you to pay in dollars but you do better in local currency. It is illegal to take the Vietnamese currency out of Vietnam.

I never carry more than the equivalent of $200 in cash when I travel.

Just wondering how much money for each country peop;e brought when visiting the following countries:

Thailand
Cambodia
Vietnam
Bangkok

We have accomodation paid already. We will be on tours for 2 weeks and in resorts for rest of trip (another 2 weeks).

Is there a waiting list to get these currencies in banks here or is it best to get out there? Where would i get best rates? Is US dollars accepted out there? We will have credit cards with us also.

In Thailand they use their own currency and take credit cards.
In Cambodia/Vietnam, use dollars for larger expenses and local currency for smaller. Few enough ATMs in Cambodia, but Vietnam is not a problem, well, not in the main cities anyway. In Cambodia they may not take credit cards but may if you have your passport. I know that's not exactily definitive, but that's the way it works out there.

And remember to haggle for EVERYTHING.

Enjoy.

What I was saying was that I never bring more than that in cash, and use ATMs to top up. Would you wander around Ireland with €500 on you? I wouldn't and never carry serious cash wherever I travel.

Eating out in Thailand and Vietnam is cheaper than here, can be waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper if you want to eat in local establishments and off the fantastic stalls. Backpacker areas are cheaper than the touristy places too.

The most expensive meal I've had in either of those 2 countries was Retaurant Bobby Chin in Hanoi where 2 courses plus drinks came to $80 for 2. This is Hanoi's Patrick Guilbauds price-wise. I think the cheapest meal I had was in Thailand and was about $4.

After that it depends on what you want to spend your money on. If you're staying in resorts they tend to be expensive, but wander out to eat and drink and you'll be fine. Spa prices in resorts in Asia are bargains compared to here though, I highly recommend that.

Do you want to get clothes made? Most places are cash only. We paid $60 a suit in Thailand, $80 in Malaysia and $45 in Vietnam.

I can't speak for the other countries but you are far better bringing your credit card and withdrawing from ATMs or failing that bring Euro traveller cheques and change them to Baht over there. You will get a hell of a better exchange rate in Thailand than at home.

When I was there 3.5 years ago, in Thailand the rate was €/40 Baht. As a matter of interest, I checked the exchange rate in Ireland when I got home, it was €/28 Baht (don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment); that's a crazy difference.

When I travel abroad, I always change my money in the country I am visiting; nearly always is better value.

Back